Muddy black stinky pond water HELP please!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
How thick do you estimate this sediment layer to be? How is this pond constructed? Earthen-bottom? Liner? Concrete?

A good solids-handling pump will remove all but the larger pieces of debris, which will require manual removal. This waste can be spread out evenly in a garden of landscaped area on your property (excellent fertilizer).

You should be able to secure an adequate pump through a rental company. I assume that those exist in the UK.

Thanks so much for your reply. The ponds ground as i figured out so far is very even with an deeper point. I think its plaster or something. Its definitely man made, on the outskirt there is foil visible and then the pebbles. The mud is full with plant stuff and otherwise thick and very dark black, its like earth.
Yes a pump makes sense, that would be the easiest way. I will find out if i can rent such thing...

Thanks so much for your advice

PS. I DID NOT THINK THAT I WOULD EVER BECOME AN EXPERT OF A NATURE POND...ok, life go on...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
A bucket and net or scoop to get out the heavy stuff and then top off with water and keep pumping it out till the goop is gone.
Thanks for your reply ;)
Yes I am still wondering how i do it. When its empty I can only wait for rain because thats where the water comes from. I am not able to fill it by tap I guess. I would pay the water bills. Would people normally fill a pond from the tap?? Do you know about it? thanks ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
View attachment 103157 @sybille
I like the bucket, net, scoop way as @mrsclem suggested. Get down and dirty w/your pond and start out brand new. Then let it cycle and the frogs etc. will come eventually. You could put in a few goldfish to keep the skeeters down if you like once the pond is cycled after a few weeks.

Thanks for your reply. Yes I will fish out this stuff but i think i have to fill it in rubbish bags and give it to a friend as I have not earth here really. I have a stone path and the only plants are really the water reed as seen in the picture right side. Can I put some of the mud onto them?

Thank you all so much for all your good answers. A forum seems to work. I am impressed and like it ;)

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Not sure what your water cost is where you are but most people fill their ponds with tap water or well water. You can do a little at a time.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
If the reeds are going back into the pond then I would not use the muck on them. It would just muck up the water too. They will do well w/just water. If using tap water to fill your pond check w/your water company to find out if Chlorine or Chloramine is added to it as if it is you will want to buy a liquid Chlorine/Chloramine remover to the water as you add it in or it will kill fish and frogs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
can use a shop vac for the mud after you drain it down .

I fill my pond with tap water no issues here.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Hi Mitch, Could you please give me some more advice.
Do you think I should put those baskets back there? (as it seems they are good for filtration) Maybe they are dead now (out for 4 weeks already) As you can see the ones standing on the side are the ones i fished out so far. There are a few more in. I was wondering if its not a bit too much for this tiny pond (?)
And I guess I can buy those bacteria stuff in a shop, right. So what would be my next step: Buying bacteria and put them in or fishing the mud out (pumping it up) and then waiting for new rain as this is a pond filling itself from rainwater only.
Sorry as this are many questions.
I might get me a book about nature pond keeping.

Do not purchase any bacteria-in-a-bottle products. There are plenty of natural bacteria present.
Your pond is small enough that any of the above suggestions will work. Clean it out or work with what you've got, you could even take an experimental scoop or 2 out and see what you come up with.
It's always good to know what you're dealing with, so cleaning and refilling could work. It's up to you.
You could put the baskets back in a shallow area, just to keep them moist. Whether or not they're still alive depends on what your weather has been like for the last 4 weeks.

Whatever you do, take pictures of your progress so we can help you further.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Welcome. It's natural in nature for ponds to fill in over time. It sounds like this pond has been long neglected. You can use a plastic bucket to scoop up the mud. Because of its condition you probably need to clean everything out but don't use any soaps or detergents on the liner as this will kill any good bacteria on it. Once it's cleaned out I agree with the advice you were given to install plants and running water. Good luck!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Do not purchase any bacteria-in-a-bottle products. There are plenty of natural bacteria present.
Your pond is small enough that any of the above suggestions will work. Clean it out or work with what you've got, you could even take an experimental scoop or 2 out and see what you come up with.
It's always good to know what you're dealing with, so cleaning and refilling could work. It's up to you.
You could put the baskets back in a shallow area, just to keep them moist. Whether or not they're still alive depends on what your weather has been like for the last 4 weeks.

Whatever you do, take pictures of your progress so we can help you further.

Thanks so much again. I will see how I approach it.
I do not understand what you mean by that (not born english speaker ;)):
"you could even take an experimental scoop or 2 out and see what you come up with"
do you mean I should take an sample and let check the bacteria in a lab??
Thanks
sybille

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Welcome. It's natural in nature for ponds to fill in over time. It sounds like this pond has been long neglected. You can use a plastic bucket to scoop up the mud. Because of its condition you probably need to clean everything out but don't use any soaps or detergents on the liner as this will kill any good bacteria on it. Once it's cleaned out I agree with the advice you were given to install plants and running water. Good luck!

Thanks for your message. What does scoop up mud mean? Thanks
And then, as the pond is a nature pond it gets water only trough rain, so it would be difficult to create an running water. I probably will do it very simple by either pumping up the mud or fish it out with a net as good as possible and then the rain can do its work. Then would maybe be a good time to put in bacteria and they can work what they can. I don't think this pond will ever be clear water...
Do you think my idea is ok or does it not make sense that way?
Thanks and have a nice weekend ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
can use a shop vac for the mud after you drain it down .

I fill my pond with tap water no issues here.

Thanks for your message.
I think to fill the pond with tap water would become very expensive. I thought the pond was designed to work on rain water supply. Sounds actually very good to me ;)
Have a nice weekend

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Thanks so much again. I will see how I approach it.
I do not understand what you mean by that (not born english speaker ;)):
"you could even take an experimental scoop or 2 out and see what you come up with"
do you mean I should take an sample and let check the bacteria in a lab??
Thanks
sybille

Sorry. What I meant is to simply take a shovel full of the mud and put it out onto your lawn.
What does it smell like to you, what do you see, are there any other life forms? Take a picture and post it here.
After that you can just use your garden hose and spread it into your lawn.
:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
hi welcome , are these duck weeds floating? ur pond is shallow 12 inches , it wud b easy to clean it and fill it back completely or ur green growth will come back pretty soon as u dont have fish too . u can fill little with tap water then leave until it rains and u can add any small fish and add waterfall or something

Ask a Question