Muddy black stinky pond water HELP please!!!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! You are getting a lot of good help.

I cleaned out a old pond a while back. Have gloves on, wellies on, get in the pond and scoop out some of the muck, like Mitch has suggested.
With the first few scoops you will learn what you are dealing with. How deep it is, how much work to scoop out. It sounds like the bottom of the pond is hard, not a rubber liner, if it is you can use a shovel, to carefully shovel it out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
If the reeds are going back into the pond then I would not use the muck on them. It would just muck up the water too. They will do well w/just water. If using tap water to fill your pond check w/your water company to find out if Chlorine or Chloramine is added to it as if it is you will want to buy a liquid Chlorine/Chloramine remover to the water as you add it in or it will kill fish and frogs.

The reed is actually outside and separate from the pond. I will empty the pond and let the rain fill it again. Could have done it when it was so dry as now its filled with water... anyway... Thanks for all the good advice :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Most any plant will love that gunk if it's outside of your pond. Happy cleaning and enjoying your nice new clean pond.

Ask a Question