My 2000 Gallon Garden Pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Did a 25x25 in a 10x10x5.5 box- not fun!
Hell, I can beat that; try unrolling a 40x30 HDRPE liner INSIDE a 31x20 structure, AND with the banks forming a figure 8, PLUS figuring out a way to store half of it while I transferred the fish from the old pond into the new expansion half while I reconfigured the old side with everything fully landscaped inside already. Was not fun; glad my son was around! The folds in the middle at the pinch point made it madding and I kept muttering to myself; 'they say NOT to cut ANY liner, no, not one part of it!' Which sure would have made it easier as I over-measured by 7' or so in the width direction.

I truly appreciated then how much easier it is to do this when you don't have walls forcing the roll to be bent upwards just so you can continue unrolling.

btw, once I got it rolled past the pinch point and had the other side secured, I got supreme satisfaction CUTTING the liner! I figured, I was never going to ever need that much xtra. Not ever.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well I’m still putting some finishing touches on my pond that I started last year. I want to thank everybody for the advice. I have no idea how many hours I put into this thing but was a LOT of work. I used no special equipment; just me, a shovel, some buckets, and a wheel barrow. My wife helped with the decorative aspect and plants. I think it turned out alright. I wish I could post a video from my deck..

-2000ish gallons
-3.5 ft deep at the deepest point
-Bog filtration (30% surface area)
- 2” PVC plumbing with slits spaced out ever inch facing downward
- Ball valve for flow control and check valve to avoid drainage of the bog during power outage
- Three vertical clean-out pipes to access the plumbing
- One foot of pea gravel
-Skimmer box with 4000 gph Little Giant pump
-2000 gph submersible powerhead wave maker (used for a dead corner of the pond)
-Firestone 45 mil EPDM liner (30 ft x 30 ft)
-3 baby koi, 5 comets

View attachment 139716View attachment 139718View attachment 139717
Great job! It came out nice despite me having to compliment a Packer fan. Is that door county? It looks so nice. One question I had though.. you mentioned a lot of work?? That part I didn’t understand. I have had a pond 12 years and it has not been any work :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 4
wow I hadn't read this one yet ya know with the Greenbay thing and all. This is awesome. I agree right up against the deck/porch/patio is a cool effect and makes it easier to enjoy.

Great work!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Great job! It came out nice despite me having to compliment a Packer fan. Is that door county? It looks so nice. One question I had though.. you mentioned a lot of work?? That part I didn’t understand. I have had a pond 12 years and it has not been any work :)
I am not in Door County. I'm in SE Wisconsin.
The initial build was a ton of work. Ever since then, I barely had to do anything. The bog filter has been doing a great job.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
hello I am new here and just wanted to say I really like the way the bog was made as a second tier. well done

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Do you have any pics during the day that show different angels of the bog trying to get the wife on board with the bog :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I am not in Door County. I'm in SE Wisconsin.
The initial build was a ton of work. Ever since then, I barely had to do anything. The bog filter has been doing a great job.
@scumfrog_millionaire

C'mon SFM; ya gots one on the hook; now, REEL him in!

@rott ; do a search here as we have LOTS of bog threads and many pics; I'll have the BFC Prez, @poconojoe get hisself offn that comfy lounge chair he likes and see if he can roust some pics for you too, along with his scintillating bog pitch!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Country
United States
here's one taken on Thanksgiving of this year. I'll try to dig up some more pics of the bog

Attachments

• winter.jpg
    winter.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 27

Ask a Question