My 2011 Pond Saga

Reaction score
I thought I would all share with you the saga of my pond so far this year.

Early spring: Lost 3 goldfish to dropsy. Problem solved.

Early spring - present

Continuous ongoing algae problem. I am trying to fix it :confused:
Croaking toads and or frogs were very loud at night. We had to close our windows sometimes

Now this is where it starts to get interesting:

Found 3 total dead birds in pond at separate times this year.
At least 3 tadpoles spawns. All were born in upper pond.
Early last week I saw my larger frog (bullfrog) swimming across my pond with a sparrow in its mouth :lol: It hides underneath my upper waterfall.
The other day I found another dead sparrow floating up against the top of of lower waterfall .I found about 3 dead birds in my pond last year. I could never figure out why. I think I know who the culprit is. I think I might have relocate him.

This afternoon I saw some baby goldfish in my lower pond :bouncycig: At least things are starting to " look up" now.

Frogs and or toads are still croaking

The saga will go on and be continued

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow bullfrog eating a bird, must be one big sucker...........I have just little frogs.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Sorry to say this but if it's big enough to grad birds and drown them it's big enough to catch your small fish and eat other wildlife. Might be a good time to relocate. that's a pretty big boy you got there, I know some fellows around here that would be wanting one that big for supper! LOL:yikesu:

Reaction score
Thank you very much. Yep,I think it is time to relocate him. I didn't know that bullfrogs also catch fish. I would say that he is about 5" long without his legs extended. I think the reason why he has been so aggressive lately is because he was guarding his eggs. They have either hatched now or have been eaten,

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Didn't know they guarded their eggs, my frogs laid them and left them. The frogs are all in a pond without all the tads, They mainly laid them in the small stream ponds, but there are some tads in the large pond. but the frogs are in the large pond.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
i have heard that bullfrogs will eat anything that fits into there mouths including other frogs, they have become a pest here in the UK after somehow finding there way here and our native frog numbers are declining because of the bullfrog,you are allowed to kill them if you find them in your garden

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yeah my other hubby put a bullfrog in our arizona pond, it ate all my cute little frogs. I don't want bull frogs in this pond, if they show up they will be relocated quickly.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Several years ago I found several dead birds floating in my pond, never found out what was killing them, though I did have two bullfrogs in the pond at the time. I wasn't sure if it was the bullfrog or the birds trying to land on the lilly pads and end up drowning, still get some that try to land on the pads. Here is a pic of one of my bullfrogs, in the first pic it is a bit grainy but those pavers are 4x6 so I estimate him to be 8" long from the second pic.

Attachments

• DSC01977.JPG
    DSC01977.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 338
  • DSC01978.JPG
    DSC01978.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 334
Reaction score
I don't know for sure if the frogs were guarding their eggs or not,but the other day I saw both of them staring very intently where the eggs were located. I think I will relocate both of then when it stops raining.

mew5280

Mary, Denver, CO
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5, Denver CO, -10 to -15
Country
United States
RE: Dead birds. Every year at the same time, I find a few dead birds in the pond. Starling fledglings. At first I didn't know they were babies but after awhile figured it out as they nest in a tree I have in the front yard and when they fledge, momma bird keeps track of them all over my yard. My guess is they aren't able to fly yet and/or just aren't savvy enough about water, try to get a drink and fall in and drown.

I don't think a frog would kill them for sport, I don't think you would actually see any of the bird if a frog was killing them because they would be eaten! My bullfrog came as a tadpole about 5-6 years ago and has been in our pond and yard since then. He does leave the pond but always returns. Anyone know how long they live?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I had a Robin dead in a bathtub pond I made. I think he/she thought they could walk on the duckweed or didn't realize it was that deep and couldn't get out is all I could figure :squint:

Reaction score
Thank you. I found another dead sparrow in my pond this afternoon. These are not fledglings that I am finding. These are adult birds. I guess the only way that i will ever figure it out is either to catch both my bullfrogs and relocate them or to put a surveillance camera at my pond:confused:.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They love to bath jw, must have thought poor thing must have thought it could.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep and it made me sad to find it that way..........wish I would have had the flower pot in there then...........do now just in case one decides to go in again :rolleyes:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So far the birds stay in the bog for bathing and drinking. They love the fact there is a nice big maple close by to fly into.

Ask a Question