My add-on bog build

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Thanks so much for your response! I won't use one of the 4,000 pumps as both are needed to have a decent amount of water going over the waterfall which is about 4 foot wide and stream that starts with a 2 foot wide waterfall, which go separate directions. I had been looking at purchasing a 2,500gph pump but it sounds like that won't be enough.

You mentioned the pump output pipe. Is this a valve installed where the flex PVC gets connected to the manifold? Or is it the cap on the cleanouts? I am just a bit confused.
I would use a pump around 4,000-5,000 gph. 2,500 sounds a bit too small. If you find it's too strong, you could always add a valve to slow it down or split it with a wye and a valve on each branch, sending one branch somewhere else.
My 3,600 gph pump just trickles out of the bog. Slightly bigger than that might be better, but you don't want the water passing through the bog too quickly.

Output pipe....just the hose connected to the [output of] the pump.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
I would use a pump around 4,000-5,000 gph. 2,500 sounds a bit too small. If you find it's too strong, you could always add a valve to slow it down or split it with a wye and a valve on each branch, sending one branch somewhere else.
My 3,600 gph pump just trickles out of the bog. Slightly bigger than that might be better, but you don't want the water passing through the bog too quickly.

Output pipe....just the hose connected to the [output of] the pump.
Thanks. I will look for a 4,000 gph pump. I have about 1//2 dug out. That clay is no fun and I still work so have the weekends to work on it. Last two have rained on me. :( I should have retired this winter so i would have more play time.

Kim

Reaction score
Finished the gravel and started adding plants...
View attachment 128323
View attachment 128324View attachment 128325
I still have to fold the liner in places and hide it with piles of rocks, but at least the bog is running.
Hopefully the water will clear up in a week or so. I would assume the bog itself needs to mature a bit and the plants have to take hold and spread their roots. In the mean time, I have a lot of tidying up to do. Thanks for looking...
How did you attatched the liner from the bog and the pond??

Kim

Reaction score
Then the liner went in. I chose to use HDRPE instead of my usual choice of EPDM. It was definitely a bit stiffer, but it seems pretty durable.
View attachment 128320
Then the PVC manifold pipes. My pump has an 1-1/2" outlet. I increased the manifold pipe to 2" for better flow and less chance for clogging.
View attachment 128321
Then started to add the gravel...
View attachment 128322
So the new liner overhang for the waterfall just flowed into the pond? I’m having to redo my bog and I want to make sure I get it right this time

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Pond liner should raise up higher that the ponds highest water level by 6 preferably 8 inches minimum . And the the bog liner goes right down to the water height of the pond if not deeper . So you have a 8 inch overlap in vertical height if you also have an angle to that height a foot would be better. The pros do far less but that is my recommendation. Or learn how to seam and then there's no issues. Unless you make a bad seam.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
How did you attatched the liner from the bog and the pond??
I didn't attach it at all, just overlapped it.
My pond was existing and I added the bog.

I had plenty of extra existing pond liner that had previously been under what was my old waterfall. There was enough to drape over the new wall between the pond and bog. Then the new bog liner layed over that and extended all the way down into the pond. I had a good deal of overlap. I had a good shelf at the water's edge where I was able to stack large flat rocks on top of the two layers of liner (old and new).

I didn't use any type of adhesive between the liners, but if you feel the need, some have used a roofing product called PL-S30. It comes in a tube that fits in a caulking gun.

Hope this makes sense.

Ask a Question