My add-on bog build

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
May i ask where you purchased the liner for the bog? Is it lighter, weight wise, than EPDM? I am looking at installing a bog. I can manage the rocks and wheelbarrows of gravel but a 15x20 liner is just over my limit.
The liner is HRDPE the "R" meaning reinforced.
Yes, it was less costly, less weight than EPDM and doesn't require an underlayment in most cases. It was stiffer to work with than EPDM, but not that bad in my opinion. EPDM can be a pain when dealing with corners too. For the corners, I just folded it until I got it right. I would definitely use it again.
I bought a 12 foot X 20 foot piece and it was $146.64 ( U.S.) . I bought it online and the shipping was free from American Talapia.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
hi poconojoe, can i ask what size holes did you put in the pipework in the bog and what distance between holes ? thanks
I did not drill holes in the manifold pipes, I cut slits with a sawzall. I think slits are better since they are long and less likely to get blocked by the pea gravel. I cut the slits 1-1/2 inches apart from each other. The slits were cut down through the PVC pipe 1/3 of the pipe's diameter. If I were to do it again, I think I would use a thicker blade than a sawzall blade. (Less likely to clog). Maybe use a cut-off wheel on a grinder. Something just a little thicker than a sawzall blade. You don't want the slits to be too thick as to let small stones in though....obviously.

Every once in a while, maybe every two months, I see a slow down in the water returning to the pond. Here's where the clean-out stacks come into play. I just turn off the pump, unscrew one of the caps and turn the pump back on. The water shoots out black for a few seconds, then clears. I shut off the pump, cap it back up, then do my second one. I direct the water with an 1-1/2" hose into a nearby flower bed. Good fertilizer!

Some people face the slits down, some up. It seems to be personal preference. I faced mine up. I was thinking if any silt or muck did possibly build up over the years, maybe facing them up was better. So, it's up to you.
Zoom in on the pictures of my manifold pipes and you'll be able to see the slits.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi poconojoe, thanks for your reply , yes that does help im hoping to start my mini bog next week which i hope to post on here just getting everything in place before i start and trying to cover all bases and hopefully the weather gods will be in a good mood ! happy bogging

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
hi poconojoe, thanks for your reply , yes that does help im hoping to start my mini bog next week which i hope to post on here just getting everything in place before i start and trying to cover all bases and hopefully the weather gods will be in a good mood ! happy bogging
Awesome! Happy to help.
If your mini bog is large enough for the size of your pond, you shouldn't need any other filtration. The consensus is your bog surface area should be 30% of your pond surface area. If not, you may need additional filtration. Those numbers are for a pond with significant fish load. So, if your fish load is minimal, your bog can be smaller. The idea is to hopefully have the bog as the only filter, since there is little, if any maintenance with a bog.
When you start the bog build, start a new thread with pictures showing your progress.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Enjoy the build!

I put my slits down and also did not use epdm. I used something similar to poconojoe, but mine was one huge piece for pond and bog. I put them down so nothing would get into the slits and plug them up. Been 9 years and still doing fine. I did put pieces of scrap liner between the pipe and the main liner.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7
Country
United States
Can you recommend any shade plants I could use in the bog that wouldn't have aggressive growing roots? It looks like you have a fair number of trees and might be working in the same shade conditions I am.

Other than the 2 month back flush is any other maintenance required?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Can you recommend any shade plants I could use in the bog that wouldn't have aggressive growing roots? It looks like you have a fair number of trees and might be working in the same shade conditions I am.

Other than the 2 month back flush is any other maintenance required?
Any plants that I stick in the bog have thrived. I haven't had any plants suffer or die off, except for when the Winter comes. Some people grow vegetables in their bog, but I think they would need more sun than I get.

The only maintenance I do is periodic flushes, maybe once every 2 months. I actually think things would be OK, even if I didn't flush it. Some people don't even have the clean-out stacks. When I built it, I figured better to have them than not... and I do use them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I've had a few plants that didn't make it in my bog. Arrowhead and Marsh Marigold , both didn't thrive or return the following year.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Marsh marigold dies back here once the heat hits and then comes back the next year.

Impatiens do great in the bog, are shallow rooters, and you yank them out at the end of the season, so no worries about them overtaking your bog in year two. Watercress is another one - grows great in the bog and dies back in the winter. Easy to pull out and it's a great filtering plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
My Marsh Marigold has done fantastic in the bog. In fact another one popped up on the other side of the bog on it's own. They are both huge. The same thing happened in the pond. My original one is on a shelf in the pond and another one just popped up on the other side of the pond.

I have both tropicals and hardy plants in the bog.
Here are some:
Papyrus and umbrella plants, but you have to watch them, they make some crazy roots.
Three types of iris.
Fiberoptic plants.
Mini cat tails.
Forget-me-nots.
Marsh Marigold.
Creeping Jenny.
Some type of grass, I don't know what it is.
Hosta.
Creeping Jenny.
And a few I can't identify.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
While if this was my only bog i would have probably put the cuts at 3" apart but this manifold build was for the second bog being the peastone bog . My main bog is an aquablock. matric bog. so the flow is only around 3000 gph and these slits were more then enough. i plced mine face down but sitting on a chair as we call it it just elevates the pipe an inch so it has gravel below the pipe. So as you can see i got a bit lazy and just taped the pvc pipes together and then cut across them with a circular saw being very careful not to let the pipes lift and bind. I THINK I HAD THE PIPES CUT IN ABOUT 5 MINUTES TOPS .
20180212_181712.jpg

Ask a Question