addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Use "Waterfall Foam", it's grey or black. DO NOT use the regular expanding foam from building centres, it's NOT waterproof. Wear gloves when you use it, and don't get it on your skin or clothes.

Even though it is not water proof it will direct water, that is all I used it for. Make the water go over the rocks not under or behind.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
All the foam does is help put the flow of water where you want it. You can push small stones in it while it is drying to help hide it. I prefer the black myself.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
The problem is that it gets waterlogged, which can cause problems when it freezes.

I met a guy years back at a fishing tournament that had bought an older boat, then rebuilt it from the hull up. He used the yellow expanding foam in the bottom of the boat before putting in a new floor/carpet figuring that it would make for lightweight buoyancy. A couple of his rivets leaked. When I ran into him a year or so later, he told me that his boat now weighed about 200lbs more than when he first got it. I mentioned the foam. He tore his floor out and sure enough, the entire "floatation" was a giant sponge. That's a problem he couldn't get around by getting a bigger motor, or losing weight (not to mention the buoyancy issue).

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine has been freezing and thawing for years now, still doing what I want it to do, direct the water over instead of under rocks. I don't care if it gets water logged, seeps water a little.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have used it on my waterfalls just to direct the flow, not for waterproofing and I did have to replace it after about 4 years or so. Gave me another reason to change some of the other rocks and look. (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Sounds ok like I should use Waterfall Foam if I need waterproof, but can use regular stuff for other areas.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sounds ok like I should use Waterfall Foam if I need waterproof, but can use regular stuff for other areas.

I don't think waterfall foam is water proof either, it is just denser. I have used it, bought a ton of cans off ebay, it was not water proof, still seeps water, but is denser than the gap filler you can buy at home depot. It does come black colored which fades as it sits out in the sun, to whitish.

So just be careful if you really need a waterproof seal I would not use the foam, use the pl roofing stuff.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Starting placing the container yesterday. I've got it slightly tilted towards the pond and pretty much level side to side. I definitely need some more rock to go around it. I'm looking to stack them around the sides to semi hide it. I'm hoping my hose comes tomorrow. If so, I'm gonna do a test run tomorrow, then I'll finish adding the valves to the inlet piping.

Now on to the photos. Top photo is across the pond and looking straight at the container outlets. I've added black 45's to the outlets to point the flow towards the middle more. You can see some of the fish, all of them survived this terrible winter. So, I guess if they survived this winter they should survive any winter.

Here's a close up of the container and outlet. I did run a good amount of SL30 along the edges of the flat rock, to try to contain the water. There is liner under the rock, sloped towards the pond. So, if some does seep through, it should get to the pond.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice! Get some nice flat rocks, build up the dirt some, add plants and flat rocks a little over hanging the edge. It will hide the tank nicely. Pieces of logs, anything that breaks up the look of a tank.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Well hose arrived (Thursday), so placed the pump in the pond and started her up. It was flowing nicely, so I just left it running. Didn't get a chance to put any gravel in, so it wasn't filtering. Friday it was too cold to wash the gravel, so was gonna waited until the next morning. Went out on Saturday morning and crap, the pond was 1/2 empty. Apparently there was a little water seeping out the back of the waterfall stone and it found a way out. I pulled the extra liner and completed sloped it towards the pond in these side areas, so believe I've good now. Added 6 bags of pea gravel for a total of 6". I plan on adding more, just didn't have any yet. Here's a photo several hours after getting the gravel in.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great job, except the leak, lol.

Now you need plants!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am going to be pulling today, boxing tomorrow, most likely, then done for the year. My pond started really clearing up once the plants got growing. The first summer no fish, no plants except a few tiny ones, low flow pump it was murky. The second year, good pump, plants, fish, clear water that has been clear since.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I am going to be pulling today, boxing tomorrow, most likely, then done for the year. My pond started really clearing up once the plants got growing. The first summer no fish, no plants except a few tiny ones, low flow pump it was murky. The second year, good pump, plants, fish, clear water that has been clear since.

Awesome, just let me know how much I owe you. I'll PM you my address. Maybe since I've already got a higher flow pump & fish, mine will start clearing this year. lol

Ask a Question