My DIY basement pond project

Reaction score
Hello,

After doing a bit a research in the last week, here's my proposal.

The pond will be 11x7x3.5ft (deep). Roughly 1300G inside dimensions filled to 3ft.

After reading the forums here and some advice from DrDave and others... I'll be building a variation of the skippy filter, using a 55G barrel. Using, of course, scrubby pads.

Anyway, this is very preliminary stuff. I may change a few things here and there, but I definitely need to get this pond started soon. My 13 Koi are not gonna like their 70G and 130G tanks very soon!

As for lighting, I'm leaning towards 8 ft T8s, I can buy 4 fixtures for cheap at Canadian Tire. I wanted to go MH, but decided not to anymore due to costs.

Using, 2x6's and 1/2 in ply, I debated whether to use build the frame vertically or horizontally. Both styles were used in projects before. I settled for horizontal framing, thanks to this guy's project:

http://www.backyardpuddle.com/diy/index.htm

Attachments

• pond2.jpg
    pond2.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 376
Reaction score
Oh yeah... It's done. For some reason, I didn't see my own thread after a few days, so I started another one: https://www.gardenpondforum.com/my-basement-pond-t3120.html

Now I have a fluke problem with my really nice koi in all my tanks and I'm 99% sure it came from buying cheap domestic koi from LFS. :-( I thought they were okay after holding them for 2-3 months in QT tanks, now they're in this pond along with my good herd!

Ask a Question