My ebay koi

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
I never knew ebay sold koi.Although craigslist has sellers as well. I prefer the link in my sig

The Real Koi Lady

Koi Professional
Reaction score
I think you did good..they are great and the price is sick!! Not everyone is into show koi and FYI..i have many show koi, been to many shows and there are plenty "show" koi in the show that i thought shouldn't be there....so...the beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think you did good!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Those are nice looking Koi! I too like the Kujaka. FYI for those that may want to use them. It used to be American koi online, They are now NextdayKoi. Same people just different user name. They are breeders but not all of their koi come from their farm. some come from another farmer in the area that has some SUPER nice fish! I have been to his farm and he has some of the best butterfly koi breed in the US in my opinion. He was originally with Blackwater creek and then started his own farm. I've bought from AKO in the past and have only had one issue and that was a fish that didn't make the trip. They refunded my money on it and my next order they sent me a free fish. I was surprised and it's still one of my favorites in the pond even now. Just wish that the blue heron hadn't gotten into my pond over the winter. It ate probably 10-12 of my top 20 koi!

Reaction score
i have been looking at some koi on ebay but afraid they would be dead on arrival glad to hear a good story on shipping with success yeah next day koi is the seller you used right? they have nice fish

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I've personally used NDK before and I have had nothing but good to say about them, My friend used KTTW and he was very pleased as well. I personally like NDK better simply because of the vast variaty of Koi, from butterfly to standard, unique colors to simple single colors they always change up and you get two weeks to make all your purchases before finishing your buying. NOTE: NDK actually measures his fish, If he says 4" it will be 4" or larger. I have bought a Koi from them that was listed as a 5" but arrived closer to 7" It was a Kumonryu Butterfly so it also looked quite different than the pic in the listing. I contacted them and he told me it was the same koi, he had listed it earlier in the year last year and it didn't sell so he waited a couple of month's before relisting it. So in that time frame it had grown close to two inches. I have to say when it first arrived I was disappointed, Didn't look like the fish I purchased, By the time it had changed two or three times I learned what they meant and I'm really glad I got it. It's a cool fish and one of my prize Koi now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Fishin, You seem to know a lot about different fish sellers. Have you ever heard of http://www.raingarden.us/goldfish.htm. I am looking at getting a watonai goldfish at some point and I really like the fish they have. Also I have enjoyed a lot of your comments and glad you have joined the forum. Thanks Keith

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Thanks Keith, been in the hobby of fish keeping for many years and it's nice to be able to share the knowledge with others that can possibly use some of it for their benefit.
Unfortunately I have never dealt with raingarden. I've only seen a few dealers carry, Wakins goldfish, I'm assuming that watonai and wakins are similar as this is actually the first time I have heard of Watonia. Basically a Comet with a fan tail? I actually went and googled the fish while typing and it seems to be a wakin with a larger tail. My local dealer has about a dozen wakin in a small pond. Cool fish, I personally like long fin straight tails. We have a few fancy Ryukins in the bedroom aquarium. I tried a few in my pond but they didn't do well. The large Comets constantly chased them and stressed them severely, they kept getting caught in the skimmer, and I found out Orandas, and cold water below 35 degrees will kill them. With all that said I wish I could help more.
By the little reading I did , I would say they are probably best kept with similar fantail type goldfish or smaller comets and shubunkins if at all. Minimal water circulation, or at least not a real strong water flow. Also I would recommend plenty of lilies or shade for them during the summer and a place to keep them fairly warm,(50-70) during the winter. One thing to keep in mind and be aware of with any fancy fin, fantail, or long finned fish. They are more susceptible to fin fungus/ fin rot. the reason is the blood vessels are very much reduced going to the extreme ends of the fins. GOOD water quality is a must, Not a bad idea to have a good anti bacterial/ fungus medication on hand in case it is needed as you will need to treat quickly if a problem does occur, and have someplace to treat. thankfully fantails of any type don't get extremely large so setting up a hospital tank for them can be as simple as a aquarium, clean garbage can, kiddy pool, etc. unlike Koi which need a much bigger area to treat them. Good luck! I'd love to see pics of them when/if you do!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks fishin. Probably your comments are right on about their fins and the extra care required. I would normally never put fancies with my comets, but I know a lot of people mix wakins with them and supposedly watonai are very hardy also. You can also click on rain garden's web site to see pictures of watonai. They are really beautiful. I'll have to decide if I want to spend $50-$100 on a goldfish. This is something my wife doesn't need to know!

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I have to say I'm pretty lucky on the fish part with my wife, I normally go for fairly small fish so I can get better choices on colors and confirmation. Which don't cost all that much. She likes the big guys and has spent far more than me on bigger fish so when I do spend a little extra on one she is usually the first one to run out and look for it, Now for my diecast car collection, HMMM whole different story! LOL

Reaction score
According to anyone (who posts on forums) who has dealt with him, Steve at Raingarden is one of the best people to buy goldfish from. His shipping is the best and cheaper than most and he stands behind his fish 100%. I go to his website sometimes to drool. I'd love a watonai or one of those lemon comets. There's a guy down in Ft Lauderdale who has wakins and watonai and sells little ones cheap, so I might go down there when I get my new ponds finished.

Wakin and watonai are true pond fish, meaning they thrive in a pond year around with any kind of goldfish or with koi. I know some people keep fantails in their pond year around, even under ice, but other fancies need to come in in winter.

Ask a Question