My ebay koi

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Thats a real bummer :regular_waving_emot
i have had good luck with eBay.
the koi have always looked like the pic..if you dont get any satisfaction from the seller let us know his name so we dont end up with his culls

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
DrCase said:
Thats a real bummer :regular_waving_emot
i have had good luck with eBay.
the koi have always looked like the pic..if you dont get any satisfaction from the seller let us know his name so we dont end up with his culls

Not a probelm at all! Mistakes I learned so far from this, NEVER let a seller hand pic you fish, their taste in fish is different than yours, Mistake #2, Don't combine shipping on large fish, there were to many fish shipped at once which part of that was the seller trying to be nice and sending me a few freebies. Mistake #3 always use a Koi dealer that has a reputation, I've used ebay with great results, But I used AKO/NDK and KTTW, I've also seen fish from Kodamakoi, For the price he has some of the best ebay fish IMO if you want size, quality and standard KOI. he doesn't deal with Butterfly koi hardly at all though.
PrettyKoifish is who I used, she is trying to work with me and has already made a offer to do a partial refund but, that's just not satisfying me at this point, IMO, The sanke, and the babies at minimum should be credited back, I'll end up spending at least what i paid for her in vet bills if she even survives, the Yambuki though is doing great and is a really nice fish and what I ordered, just isn't yellow like we specifically ask. It's exactly what it looked like in the pic provided on the listing and we ask ahead of bidding.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Can you cancel your your payment? paypal and cc's offer protection.
Sorry about your fish arriving in such bad shape

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Hope it all works out for you !
With that many fish you would worry about maybe one disappointment not most of them

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Well update, The large Sanke didn't make it, she passed away early in the morning. The Yambuki which is slowly getting the name Tangerine Dream or peaches as she isn't yellow But a Very pretty very nice shape butterfly with perfect fins is doing great. I ordered five butterfly babies, her choice. She sent extra and more than I ordered survived. (lost three) (6 BF, lost one of these the large dark one last night after the pic was taken) -(1 std doitsu) I'm not happy with her picks but they aren't that bad of looking fish either. She made a reasonable offer for a refund that I'm agreeing to accept. Fed Ex wouldn't cover the fish as it arrived alive. She's been in constant contact, very nice, and made a reasonable offer to fix the issue, Am I happy, not really, Will I leave a positive or negative? I have to say it will be a positive but for those of you looking, might want to use caution or go with a seller with higher feedback. I won't do that again! And Yes it was prettykoifish that I was dealing with. If your alot closer and can get to her, the babies have really nice flowing fins. I would bet she would let someone hand pic babies for cheap! Don't know but I can say I wish I could and bring back myself. She had some really nice fish in the lot listings.

Attachments

• 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 211
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 275
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 279
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
fishin, Sorry you had such bad luck with your e-bay purchase. The babies look cute but I'm sure not worth the other headaches. Now that it is a day removed from the events if you don't mind me asking; What do you think caused the problems and how can they be avoided by other buyers or shippers?

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I rolled the dice on a few last night !! they should be here the first of the week

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
CometKeith said:
fishin, Sorry you had such bad luck with your e-bay purchase. The babies look cute but I'm sure not worth the other headaches. Now that it is a day removed from the events if you don't mind me asking; What do you think caused the problems and how can they be avoided by other buyers or shippers?

Problem #1 too many fish sent in the bag,
Problem #2 She packed the shipping bag with actual pond water
Problem #3 Fed-Ex beat the crap out of them.
Problem #4 She didn't use the proper type box for shipping fish, not insulated, too thin of cardboard, not designed for the weight of water and once it got a little wet the box just started coming apart. I honestly believe that the injury to the big fish was gotten in transit. as for the small ones they were packed in the same bag with the large fish, non-sedated, the water was simply fouling out when they arrived. I think it had some to do with inexperience in shipping fish along with rough handling of the package that was the ultimate problem.

I would recommend if your going to take a shot at buying fish online from Ebay, Use someone that has plenty of feedback on their koi! NDK/AKO, KTTW, KRU and Kodama Koi would be my first choices. All have good feedback ratings, This is the second year at least for all of those and they have built a reputation and have done it for some time. Also, On last thing, I know we want to save on that high shipping cost, But remember, That bag of fish is just like a mini pond, The more you buy the bigger the chance on overloading the shipping bag. I would recommend no more than 1 14-18" fish per box, and no more than a total of 24-30 total inches of fish per box if buying smaller fish, Example you could by 30-1" fish or 10- 3" fish. Start getting much over that and I can smell problems from the start.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
DrCase said:
I rolled the dice on a few last night !! they should be here the first of the week

Who did you use? Good Luck!! This was the worse time for me and really as bad as it was, I am not totally discouraged about buying online just more cautious now on who I use.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Fishin, It seems if she was smarter about shipping and sending the fish most of the problems could have been avoided. 3 out of 4 mistakes were hers. I know you don't want to hurt the seller's rating because she was nice, but she she should know how to ship her fish. I would rethink the positive rating.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
CometKeith said:
Fishin, It seems if she was smarter about shipping and sending the fish most of the problems could have been avoided. 3 out of 4 mistakes were hers. I know you don't want to hurt the seller's rating because she was nice, but she she should know how to ship her fish. I would rethink the positive rating.

I understand what your saying, I haven't left anything yet, still thinking. I don't leave negative if the seller makes good on there end, I got my moneys worth of fish, I will leave that there was a issue in the comments. She ask me what she thought went wrong and I told her the same thing as I did here. She's not a dealer she's a individual that is trying to move her babies. Believe me this wasn't a plesent deal for her either as the sanke was one of her oldest fish but she was trying to improve the quality of her breeding stock. We talked on the phone and came to a total agreement so I will not leave a negative. Just not sure what I will leave as a comment yet..

Ask a Question