water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
shakaho said:
According to anyone (who posts on forums) who has dealt with him, Steve at Raingarden is one of the best people to buy goldfish from. His shipping is the best and cheaper than most and he stands behind his fish 100%. I go to his website sometimes to drool. I'd love a watonai or one of those lemon comets. There's a guy down in Ft Lauderdale who has wakins and watonai and sells little ones cheap, so I might go down there when I get my new ponds finished.

Wakin and watonai are true pond fish, meaning they thrive in a pond year around with any kind of goldfish or with koi. I know some people keep fantails in their pond year around, even under ice, but other fancies need to come in in winter.

Even handle cold maryland ponding? I would not mind a few. My one shubinkin has a tri tail, the three goldies were feeder fish. The other shubinkin is a pretty little thing, whites and blacks but all are small.

I know someone that just had a ton of watonai babies..............humm maybe she will be selling a few! and not at 50 per!

Reaction score
As a native of Wisconsin (zone 3), I have to chuckle at "cold Maryland." We considered that near tropical, LOL. Feral goldfish are a major problem in the many lakes of Minnesota where they flourish. If there is ice on the pond but it isn't frozen solid, the fish don't know how cold the air is. The water is a few degrees above freezing. Some people think goldfish benefit from a period of dormancy under ice.

Any of the goldfish with normal-length bodies are cold hardy. In the far east, they are breeding some fancy (short bodied) varieties that are cold hardy.

Reaction score
I've ordered wakin and a lionhead from Steve at raingarden, you can't beat the quality and fast, cheap shipping. He takes so much care in packing them right and is such a great guy to work with. I will never order fish off ebay again. I got bad packing and then fed ex screwed something up and I got very sick fish and no help from the seller. Lost two immediately. Another barely made it after lots of antibiotics but lost an eye.

I just ordered watonia/wakin eggs and hopefullly they will be coming this week! I'm in zone 5 and my wakin did fine. They actually would be more active in the cold water then all the other fish. During the winter on warmer days they would swim to the top and play under the heater while the koi and regular goldies all sat at the bottom. Wakin/watonia have personalities you just can't beat! I also was able to winter a round body fantail, she had no problem. The nice thing about fantails too is they stay small so if you want to overstock you can have more of those little ones;) My last pond was 4 feet deep.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
shakaho said:
As a native of Wisconsin (zone 3), I have to chuckle at "cold Maryland." We considered that near tropical, LOL. Feral goldfish are a major problem in the many lakes of Minnesota where they flourish. If there is ice on the pond but it isn't frozen solid, the fish don't know how cold the air is. The water is a few degrees above freezing. Some people think goldfish benefit from a period of dormancy under ice.

Any of the goldfish with normal-length bodies are cold hardy. In the far east, they are breeding some fancy (short bodied) varieties that are cold hardy.

All right all right semi tropical maryland..........lol
but coming from phoenix it is colder than I have been for a long time. Thanks for the info.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Evesta, Thanks! I am totally hooked. I have been thinking about these watonai for a while. Everything you and Shakaho have said about them makes me want them even more. Also I appreciate the feedback about Raingarden. I'll definitely order the fish from Hawaii when I'm ready.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I know of someone that will be selling babies for 3-6 dollars, shipping will be the big expense.

Reaction score
Wow! I have never seen koi like the one on the right hand side, the black yellow and white/silver he almost looks like a wasp. If I purchase any in the future will be looking for one like him.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Well, I guess we will see today what I got thru Ebay, My wife found a large butterfly Sanke 16", and Yambuki Ogon Butterfly 12" on Ebay, we won the auctions yesterday and while emailing back and forth with the seller ending up picking up 6 small butterfly koi under 4" and 5# of food to give a try. I just got confirmation that they have left the Fed-Ex facility at the airport and are in route to me, Should be here in the next 3-4 hours. This is always where I get the spookiest, just before arrival, Will they be ok, will they make the acclimation, will they be disease free, Will the fins be all torn up, And then with this shipment, what will the 6 youngsters look like as I bought them sight unseen. Told her what I was looking for from a pic but she had the choice of picking them out. I have the quarantine tank ready and waiting, Just checked it and made 100% sure all was good to go.
Thank goodness I have a local friend that has a new Koi pond and a friend that lives within 2 hour drive that has a big Koi pond also, The friend that lives two hours away is disabled and can't get out much so I usually take him the ones that I decide I don't want.Between mine and those two I don't have to worry to much about keeping any but the ones I really want and send them my culls.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Neat I was looking around ebay just out of curiosity, might have seen the ones you won. Recall a few beautiful butterfly koi listed.
Congrats on your new additions.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Are they there yet, huh, huh, huh are they there yet? Want pix of them when they calm down. I bet they are real purdy :regular_waving_emot

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
well they arrived, What a disappointment, the box they were shippped in was pretty destroyed, Fish food was pouring every where when Fed-ex haned me the box, I opened it up in front of the driver and filed a claim right there on the spot. Ordered 1 16" sanke, has two BAD sores on her side and doesn't look good at all, I'll be working on her for a while trying to get her better, the 12" Ogon yambuki, we ask if it was yellow, we were told yes, metallic yellow, came in ok shape, but NOT yellow, it's orange, Ordered five babies, got 9 3 dead, 4 pale white, one really pretty orange doitsu but it's a standard, not butterfly, 2- (Best I can describe as UGLY DUCKLINS!) Water stunk so bad! I bet the ammonia in the bag was over 20ppm or better! Seriously! emailed the seller but no response yet. I did take a few picks but really I would hate for everyone to see the pics, The babies and the yellow are in the quarantine pond, the Sanke is at the vet's office, He's going to try and treat her there, thank goodness my vet has a pond and has started treating large fish. wonder what that bill will cost me??

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That's awful. Shame on those people for sending you fish in that condition and not even what you were promised. Hope you can get some kind of satisfaction from the dealer. Poor fish :regular_waving_emot

Ask a Question