addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We were out in the hot tub, watched him fly in from the west, circle down in the back field, fly over, circle back and land on our fence. Our fearless yorkie was barking at it, from the house, so rather than stalk the pond it flew off.

heron3.JPG
heron2.JPG
heron1.JPG
heron4.JPG
heron5.JPG
heron.JPG

heron7.JPG
heron8.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Good girl Missy and thank Heaven for the net!
I don't mind them coming to visit me anymore cuz all they can do is walk around my netted pond and look :p

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
This brought back some bad memories! I'm happy this bird didn't get any of your fish! :)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This brought back some bad memories! I'm happy this bird didn't get any of your fish! :)
That is one reason my pond is netted 24/7 year round. The bird has visited in the snow, mid January.
It was a non stop battle for 3 years to get them to stop coming every day, 2-3 times a day. I tried everything, the net finally stopped the herons. We have a rookery to the west of us, we are in their feeding flight path, they fly over every day. This was the first stop over in a while, unless they have stopped by and we have not caught it.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sounds like your yorkie was on task (y)
She is very observant and a great hunter. Anything that does not belong she goes crazy over. She spots hot air balloons. helicopters, they don't belong in her air space!
Anytime something is moved she is aware that it does not belong.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Would you look at that wing span ! You're so smart to keep your pond netted, with the rookery near by.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Would you look at that wing span ! You're so smart to keep your pond netted, with the rookery near by.
They are huge birds, really neat looking love to watch them just not here snacking in the pond. I have hours of tracking them via my cameras, trying to figure out the best way to stop the birds. The wide weave net worked, does not trap anything else, just stops the heron

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My pond is covered too now, but I've lost several fish to this bird before!
I wish I didn't have to cover it, I liked it so much more before ):

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Same here I would love to keep the net off. With the wide weave it is not bothersome to the eye. It is hung up high enough to let me work on the lilies without needing to remove it. I usually do remove when in the pond, to many spiders make the net a home. It does not trap any other critters, just stops the heron.
My pond would be emptied of fish if not netted, they would be a daily visitor like before I netted the pond.

Ask a Question