My Filter Pit and 55 gal Barrel Photos

Reaction score
Re: My Fitler Pit and 55 gal Barrel Photos

i see. I think our problem is that our filter sucks and sends a big blob to the filter and clogs it.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score

With the Doc filter, you don't have to worry, that clump will be left in the sump and your 2" dump valve will discharge it when you backflush.

Reaction score

Hi jenn. My pump is an external one with the filter i have pictured here. I have a retro bottom drain (the aqua art one--and it works really well) in the middle of the pond and it sucks up the muck and sends it into my 55 gal filter. Once a week, I twist the drain open so that the muck falls into my sump pit and I get it outta there. My pump is then after the barrel, as it's sucking through it. Your barrel can't be before the pump when you use one of these filters, as it works on gravity. Something has to pull the water through it and your media inside--and that's your pump obviously.

I do have a pressure filter AFTER the pump that simply acts as a fines filter, tho. But a pressure filter does not need gravity to function. It can be placed anywhere.

I hope that makes sense. If not, let me know.

Reaction score
I know alot of people are using the plastic barrels or the plastic stock tanks. Would wooden oak barrels or galvanized stock tanks work? The wooden just for aesthetics, and same with the galvanized (would do water plants in the top)? Is there or would there be any dangers from leeching of alcohol from the barrels or harm from the galvanized tanks?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Any alcohol would soon evaporate after the barrel is emptied to begin with. What is left is the other stuff used in making it. Non of which, i would worry about.

Reaction score
OK, I must have over looked something in your post, because I can't find the diameter of PVC you used in your build, 1",2",3" ??? or is it smaller like 3/4"?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
gambitmac said:
OK, I must have over looked something in your post, because I can't find the diameter of PVC you used in your build, 1",2",3" ??? or is it smaller like 3/4"?

If you are talking about the Doc Bio Filter, I have used 1/2" irrigation tubing as shown on my web site and or fencing. You can use any plastic that has a lot of surface area for the bacteria to grow and populate on.

Reaction score
jason081180 said:
i think he is talking about the size of PVC used for the inlet and output tubes, the actual plumbing. i would guess its 2in.

Yes, I had questions on both the filter media will be 1/2 in PVC thanks DrDave, and the actual plumbing PVC that is inside the 55g drum would be? 2 in or is that just for the output to the pond? or for all of it, I should explain myself better next time, sorry.

Should have kept looking in the DIY section

found it

"Install a 3/4” line for the inflow of pond water to the bottom. Also install a 2” overflow return to the pond." - http://drdaveskoi.tripod.com/html/doc_bio_filter.html

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Coming from my submersible pump, feeding the Doc Bio Filter, I have 3/4" line and the return from the filter drum is 2". The pump is a W1150 Beckett.

Reaction score
hey, im planning on building two filters exactly like this to run in parallel from one 3" bottom drain. i ordered 2" bulkheads and a 3" bottom drain. will the 2" bulkheads be able to move the water fast enough if I have a 3600GPH pump?

Ask a Question