My Filter Pit and 55 gal Barrel Photos

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! slightly off topic, but can you take a look at my final plan and see if you can for see any issues? I think i'll put check valves after the BD and skimmer as well as ball valves to each barrel.

Attachments

• filter_side.jpg
    filter_side.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 500
  • pond_filter.jpg
    pond_filter.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 480

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
I use bottom drains and skimmers. Your flow chart looks similar to mine, I don't use settling bins. Might be useful, but really hard to clean out, seems like in no time they'd be full of crap. Literally.

You have your jet bypassing your filter. Might be the right way to get pressure, just have to know what filter, pump, etc. you are using. Personally, I don't like submersibles, but that's me.

Definitely be able to isolate your bottom drain and skimmer with valves for each. I hate ball valves on the supply plumbing, too hard to turn and restrictive. Gate valves are much easier, and you can cut some 3/4" PVC to make keepers so they can't close accidentally. If you need me to, I can post a picture.

Check valve before your pump should be good, I'd suggest an external with leaf basket/priming pot.

Good luck, ask if you're not clear on any of this.

Reaction score
i thought i posted this already, but guess not, sorry if theres a double post.

hewhoisatpeace,
Thanks for your advice.

is it possible to find gate valves at local home depot type institutions or mostly online only?

koikepper,
have you had any issues with leaving your filter pit walls exposed dirt? i get a fair amount of precipitation and Im thinking that I might have to cover the walls. Any thoughts? I am using your drain pump idea so I will be able to drain it. I have no idea how I would go about (inexpensively) covering them.

Also do you think a 5 gallon bucket would be enough of a drain reservoir, I would just put my sump pump in there and hopefully it can empty fast enough to keep up with flow out of my barrels.

I am going into day two of rebuilding tomorrow. wish me luck people. ill post some pictures in a new thread.

Reaction score
You might have better luck looking for a gate valve at a pool or spa place. Will probably be a lot cheaper online though, if you can wait.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have been using buffing machine pads as they have 3 different kinds and I find that they are easy to clean and pick up alot of stuff and they only cost about 6 dollars at Lowes here .They are not small .I sometimes cut them in half .They are large round circles with a hole in the middle and come in blue green and white and I find them in the floor care section of the store .I use them for my up filter as the hole it the middle is great for this and I also use lava rock from the garden center I soak the lava rock in liquid barley and bacteria and have not had a problem or lost 1 fish in 5 years . I built my own filter boxes 1 goes to the waterfall and the other goes in the other side of the pond to keep both ends of the pond clean and well oxygenated .

Reaction score
Ok, here's the inside of the bucket. The low pipe here with the 90 degree turns is my inlet where the water comes in as it is an upflow filter:

http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu310/lfreem2/CIMG2348.jpg

I'm about to build a filter, and this is one of the things I've been wondering about. most filters like this I see, the inlet comes over the top, then empties out at the bottom. I want to do mine this way, unless there's some really good reason not to.

is there any downside? I was thinking maybe the weight/pressure of the water in the tub would make it harder on the pump pumping in more, or maybe a sealing issue or something.

Ask a Question