sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I would guess that you water may have been warmer coming out also and did not get cold enough to freeze .That happens when i refill one of my 150 gallon stock tanks the other day and it got down to 27 degrees and there was no ice on it the next morning

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Sissy,

I believe you're correct the water and the surrounding ground is definitely well above freezing. Fortunately it is not forecast to be below freezing for the next 10 days or so.

John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Todd,

We were thinking about mortaring/cementing the rocks into place around the inner edge and also in the waterfall area. I've seen some do that.

John

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
not sure cement would hold up under constant wet conditions and the shifting and settling .Some people use the black spray foam for ponds .I know I used it in a couple of spots on rocks on my plant ledges and it works great and you really can't even see it

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Just make sure if you decide to cement them then that's where you want them forever and ever cuz sure is harder to make changes after there stuck like that. I'm always re-arranging rocks around my pond and if I got a spot in the liner that somehow sunk down I'd be in big doo doo if it were cemented. Or if ya get a hole in the liner or it somehow got wrecked by an animal or ? I don't know how you would replace the liner w/o tearing all the rocks apart. Just think real hard on it first.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I foamed some rocks in my top stream pond. When we built the deck pond with the waterfall into that top stream pond, I have had to tear them apart to redo that pond. Making it slight larger to allow for wind shift of the water fall from the deck. That foam stuff sticks those rocks very well, it was hard to yank them loose.

Check ebay, I got a few boxes from there pretty cheap. Some was black pond foam, some was the construction yellow foam, within a few months the yellow stuff was brown, could not even see it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It goes a long way .Found out also that spray foam in the cans in the stores if it does not say soy based it is really not good for your fish as it leaches stuff in the water and read also that it can cause problems for some fish .i'm not sure if it's true or not ,but how would you know unless something happened to your fish or water conditions show up when you test your water .But any soy based foam you can use .

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have done tweaking on my pond every year, moving rocks or redoing the waterfall every year b/c I wasn't quite happy with something. My rocks are just stacked on one another.

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I noticed on several threads, that some don't place all their rocks in the pond prior to filling with water. Is this to allow the liner to settle in the hole?

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yes that is what I did. Didn't want to put any stress on the liner if it needed to settle more and by having rocks on it.

Ask a Question