My First Pond is under way.

Reaction score
Hey sounds like everything is coming along. Can't wait to see pics. I just made a filter too and was wondering about the weir. I found a plastic shower drain that has kind of a spout. I just cut a hole for it to fit. I have a pic in "started my pond" Maybe it'll help at least drum up some ideas. I think there are 3 of us at similar stages in our pound build....Keep us posted..BA

Reaction score
Well Saturday and today were pretty productive. Still have a lot to do with getting the waterfalls built with the right rocks and then filling in all the other rocks. But we are starting to see it coming along.
Pictures will be uploaded tomorrow.

Reaction score
Here are the pics.

Attachments

• Filter1.jpg
    Filter1.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 388
  • Pond2.jpg
    Pond2.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 400
  • Pond3.jpg
    Pond3.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 426
  • Pond4.jpg
    Pond4.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 486
Reaction score
Looks good...You're making me think I should raise my filter a little higher for a better and more dramatic waterfall. Yours seems to be hitting the final stretch now. Are you gonna use any mortar on the waterfall stones??

Reaction score
We are not going to use any mortar. Once we decide the right stone for the waterfall ledge we will use the black waterfall foam to seal all the edges and cracks. We are still searching for some nice flat stone to create the final ledge for the fall.

The dimensions of the main pond is 9'L X 8'W X 3'D

We estimate the water capacity to be around 1300 gallons probably a little less.

Reaction score
Black Waterfall foam should be in today. Saturday will be a busy day getting both waterfalls finished up. I am going to try and pick up some beneficial bacteria to add to the filter and hopefully enough scotch brite pads to get it up and running today. I hope to have it running and beginning to the cycle by Sunday. We will need to get a bunch more rocks to get the ledge finished. Hopefully by next weekend I can start adding plants to soften the edges and start getting that finished look.

Reaction score
Here are the latest pictures. Still making some changes then the final landscaping begins.

Attachments

• IMGP0125.jpg
    IMGP0125.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 372
  • IMGP0124.jpg
    IMGP0124.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 382
  • IMGP0123.jpg
    IMGP0123.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 390
  • IMGP0122.jpg
    IMGP0122.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 385
Reaction score
Coming along great.:banana: Now after all that HARD work. This is the fun part. My wife and I have really been enjoying this part. Keep it up and keep the pics comming...BA

Reaction score
The weather here has not cooperated this week raining and cold. I am going to try and visit a pond supply store this weekend to pick out some plants. I hope I can get them all in place so they can start to flourish. I will also try to start the exterior landscaping as well.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Your moving along ,,,looks good ,send the after you plant pics.

Reaction score
Well what an interesting weekend. Planned on getting some plants to add to the pond but ran into a slight issues. Got home Friday night and noticed that pond was almost dry! So I shut the pump off and decided I would have to change my saturday plans. I think I found the issues. I believe it was between the closet flange in the skippy filter and the liner for my waterfall. I think I have it sealed good now. I will wait a few days to make sure it is holding water then it will be plant time.

Ask a Question