My fish are acting skittish and won't eat after I cleaned the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
I'm jumping late on this one so excuse my tardiness, can I ask what kind of water are using to replace ? Tap water?

I've also found that adding pond salt is a big help for the pond and fish health.

EAC

Reaction score
So, I drained 1/2 and refilled w/ dechlorinator and some bacteria in a bottle. I also added some lettuce and 4 additional gold fish. They all seem to be pretty happy. I only added the bacteria because the owner at the Pond Store suggested it.

Attachments

• 20130831_192740.jpg
    20130831_192740.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 225

studiovette

GS PETE
Reaction score
EAC said:
So, I drained 1/2 and refilled w/ dechlorinator and some bacteria in a bottle. I also added some lettuce and 4 additional gold fish. They all seem to be pretty happy. I only added the bacteria because the owner at the Pond Store suggested it.
I believe that we made the bacteria recommendation here first LOL

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Bacteria bought is not a waste and most use it to start there ponds up in the spring .I never understood the total cleaning of a pond and never will .The fish eat all the good stuff off the liner .It is like a salad bar to them .

EAC

Reaction score
Also, my water went from being crystal clear to being pretty murky. Is this because of it cycling or because I still don't have a filter?

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Why kind of murk are we talking about? Sandy murk or green algae murk or other...?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Eric, I think you got some excellent advice on this thread and this would apply to anyone that is thinking of cleaning a pond on the proper do's and don'ts. I don't understand that if you now realize your fish are probably in crisis mode because they are swimming in their own waste because there is little good bacteria left in the pond to absorb it, why would you buy additional fish that will produce more waste until your problem is completely resolved?

Ask a Question