My fishies are gone.......

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8-b
Country
United States
It's time you posted a net over the pond. Just give it up and do it. Here is a good one if you want.
I ordered one yesterday.........even my mosquito fish and rosy reds are traumatized, like they are all in shock, staying low in the middle, where they used to swim in the shallow end and play......stupid bird

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8-b
Country
United States
Darn that is sad. Poor bulldog...................got caught napping!

I have used a wide weave net over the pond for years now. It does not trap the small birds, the frogs, the bugs etc. The dragon flies even got stuck when I used a smaller weave net. Mine is around 2ish feet over the water, the heron can not strike through it and reach the fish.

I had herons visiting every day for a few years. We are in their flight path. Since I put up the net they have left the pond alone. I did forget to cover my hot tub pond, loss every fan tail in it, around 9, when I left to head to Florida in Feb. Had some ice on it, but melted spots here and there. Also loss some fish in the 1000 gallon tank, that net started falling apart, forgot to fix it.

So unless I want population control, the net stays on.
Yes, I ordered one yesterday. I'm going to raise it with stakes or something so the Heron cant stab them. I figure he probably got poor little Motorboat first ( my special fantail ) he was super friendly, not too fast, and hung out in the shallow end. He was my favorite. :cry:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8-b
Country
United States
RIP MOTORBOAT

Attachments

• 20190807_190518.jpg
    20190807_190518.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 134
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Sherry,so sad to hear that,we had a heron down in June lost one fish and this is what we had to do,since the posts and netting on never had a problem,doesn’t look pretty but no other option

Attachments

• 44EFE04A-65DF-454E-B5B2-63067CB37274.jpeg
    44EFE04A-65DF-454E-B5B2-63067CB37274.jpeg
    381.2 KB · Views: 104
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8-b
Country
United States
Hi Sherry,so sad to hear that,we had a heron down in June lost one fish and this is what we had to do,since the posts and netting on never had a problem,doesn’t look pretty but no other option
Hi dessie4321, yes, i want to raise the netting like that, how do you get in to maintain the plants, filters, pond?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi dessie4321, yes, i want to raise the netting like that, how do you get in to maintain the plants, filters, pond?
Yep no problem takes less than a minute to take net off,then you can reach the plants off the shelf,you can move filter over to side and lift it or get in pond at shallow end

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8-b
Country
United States
So I covered my pond with netting today. its raised up 6 inches to 2 feet over the whole pond. I was out by the pond all day and when I got done 3 orange comets came out, i also saw my orange and white goldfish (my first one I put in the pond!) today! Haven't seen my gold koi for a couple of days, but hoping he starts coming out. The mosquito fish and Rosie's are coming to the shallow end again. The netting and pond aren't exactly how I want them, but everybody should be safe while I'm at work.

Ask a Question