My food diary...

Reaction score
Gordy The question I would ask is how old are you?

Between the age of 18 and 35 I went from 140 lbs to 155 lbs, a weight gain of 15 pounds, all of it muscle, and I basically ate and drank what ever I wanted. At about the age of 40 to 50 I started to put on a few pounds ponds a year, and not all of it was necessarily muscle. By the time I was 52 I was about 200 lbs and not liking it, even though I was probably just as active as I was when I was younger. It seems with most of us our metabolism just slows down at a certain age and starts converting that energy to fat, especially starchy foods. I've since lost a lot of that weight, but it meant changing my eating habits drastically and doing a lot of extra exercising. I have to work at now what use to come naturally.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
He said he was almost 50. I would do fine if I ate just meat,veggies, fruit, low carb high fiber stuff but if I added the noodles,potatoes, pancakes and all that starchy stuff that you eat too I would balloon up like the Michelin Man! And Hershey candy bars would not help me at all. Will be interesting to see if you can keep the weight off forever. You sound like you are quite active,go,go,go all the time,is that right? My dad could sit and eat those hot peppers and eat an onion like an apple also. He was from Tennessee and I was adopted tho and did not inherit those qualities. It would be great to be able to eat like you do Gordy but unless there is some magic spell out there someone can put on me then I am doomed to fight the gain till the end. In Heaven I'm sure all will have perfect bodies and no weight gain or we would drop like a lead balloon off those high flying clouds up there :biggrinangelA:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My dad had to eat every few hours, he sort of ate all the time, not the amounts stated above, but he sure could eat. While he was living with us it seemed I was always cooking up something for him to eat. He was never fat, tall and skinny

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I need a whole new chemistry transfusion from someone like that to change my metabolism so I could eat like a horse and gain nothing. Someday they will prolly be able to do something like that. My hubby says if you can say it they will do it someday whatever it is :cheerful:

Reaction score
Randy,

I am 47 now. When I was in HS I weighed 145 pounds and from then on until about 2005 I would fluctuate +/-5 pounds depending upon the season. In August of 2005 I contracted West Nile Virus and ever since then I have been slowly losing weight. I feel more hungry between meals then I ever used to, so I have been eating more often or more meals per day, but my weight has actually declined over the past 8-9 years. I am now down to around 135 lbs. I would like to be back up near 145 to 150 lbs.

I have no idea what West Nile would or could have to do with this, but that is just when my weight began to decline. I went through six weeks of the most intense headache pain that was indescribeable. My gal Sue told me that I was moaning, yelling and even screaming while holding my head in my sleep. I didn't realize it as it never woke me up. When I did wake up in the morning, I would feel the pain, though - for all day, for six weeks! My right arm and especially my hand became paralyzed. Took a couple of years just to get the full use of my hand back. My left hand/arm was unaffected, but I found it hard to do anything with it since I am right handed. I had never worked on trying to be ambidextrious.

Yeah, the West Nile thing probably isn't anything more than a coincidence because my brother is the same way and he didn't have West Nile. It is probably just because I had a momentary setback during that affliction and therefore I noticed the start of the weight loss. Since then, I have just been trying to play catch up.

The human metabolism is a strange subject. I am probably just one in a thousand or a few thousand who have some genetic propensity to process foods very differently.

J.W., you are correct, I do "go, go, go, go" all of the time! I don't even sit down very often. As a matter of fact, I am standing right now. I always stand as I hate sitting down. The only times I do sit is when I am eating at the table, going to the toilet or driving. Otherwise, I am bipedal and in motion, darting from here to there. Maybe that is a large part of this.

Gordy

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
-- Hmm, I really wonder if the West Nile Virus has something to do with it because you're eating like 3000 cal a day.

-- My Dad has always been bone thin. He just doesn't gain weight, I've never seen him fat. My Mom was fat at one point but is thin now and very conscious of what she eats. She's the best home cook I've ever known. I'm the fattest and biggest guy in my family including my cousins on both sides of my family. My wife however comes from a big family. In her family gatherings, I'm only ranked 6th in weight!

-- I've been pretty diligent with my food diary. I'm not losing much weight but I am going to the gym and I'm now a lot more conscious of what I eat. I guess the next step is to slowly cut down on food now that I know what I'm eating.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
It's been a bit more than a month but I'm having a very hard time keeping up. I still have been keeping track in my written diary but the entries in myfitnesspal has gone to heck.

Part of the reason is that it's hard to eat easily defined food. The first casualty was when I went to Costco and sampled a bunch of everything. That entry took me about 1/2 hour to input online. The next time I did that, I just guessed it.

And for the last few days I was really ravenous. Maybe it was the workouts I did, but pretty much couldn't stop eating.

I've been still trying to enter meals on myfitnesspal but I really hit the wall this weekend with the entries. In the last 3 days I had Russian, Thai, Vietnamese, Chinese, Taiwanese, Mexican, Italian food and regular American food. Heck, what is American food?

Anyhoo, still struggling on...

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I did it once and not again, to much of a pita. I have lost around 10 lbs, (really should not lose more) honey 12 (he should lose around 10 more) just doing this diabetic planned meals, which is just balanced eating and eating 5 times a day, three meals two snacks. We both are eating more then we ever have since we got married. My weight has not varied in 20 some years, never been good at dieting, my body liked the weight I was at, size 10 fit so I was happy, now in size 8. Any smaller will look too boney. But this healthy eat a lot diet for him is making me drop lbs with no effort.
I am too big boned to be one of those size 2 people lol

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I've been trying to kind of do the diet where you split your plate and eat more veggies than meat or carbs. So far just sitting in one place weight wise but I cheat too much!

Hey John Huff were you on an interview on Kiro tv last night cuz there was a John Huff on there speaking about an accident or something. I just looked up when I saw your name.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
If he was he looked quite well for his age. Think he had a beard and looked rather Irish I would say.................no really were you on the news or not..................just answer my question or I'll see you don't get any trophies Mr 100 yr old crazy man

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ok his beard and hair looked like it had a reddish tinge to it and a fair complexion maybe w/ a few freckles..................sheesh...........I didn't pay that close of attention and I may have it all wrong as I'm not a very good witness to things I see. My mother used to say that she could come in w/ green hair and polka dots all over her and I would never even notice. I think it was just her tho that I tried to not to notice.................I was a teenager then :rolleyes:

You are not gonna tell me if you were on the news I can see but if you don't then I will know it was you and now if you tell me it was you trying to fake me out then I will know it was you also.............SO I HAVE COME TO THE DEDUCTION THAT IT WAS YOU! :LOL:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Ok his beard and hair looked like it had a reddish tinge to it and a fair complexion maybe w/ a few freckles
Are you sure it wasn't a Leprechaun? I googled Irishman and this is the first image that came out, lol.

irishman-better-v9-300dpi.jpg

Ask a Question