My goldfish pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Urglik. The ones with the flat leaves and small flowers are lilies. Lilies are my favorite pond plant. Also I have bunch of sedges including water irises. There are a few floating plants that are either water hyacinths or water lettuce. Also I have a a lotus close to the waterfall. There is a tall bush which is a hat palm tree. I have had it 7 or 8 years. There are some other plants too which you probably can't see in the picture. Since this is a new pond everything has been planted since last fall. I hope this helps.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hi Urglik. The ones with the flat leaves and small flowers are lilies. Lilies are my favorite pond plant. Also I have bunch of sedges including water irises. There are a few floating plants that are either water hyacinths or water lettuce. Also I have a a lotus close to the waterfall. There is a tall bush which is a hat palm tree. I have had it 7 or 8 years. There are some other plants too which you probably can't see in the picture. Since this is a new pond everything has been planted since last fall. I hope this helps.

nice. thank you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Here is a progress photo of the porch with the railings installed. We still need to do the ones on the very top and the side entrance of the building. We should be installing the cedar soon. This week is clear weather so I'm hoping we can get a lot of outside work done.
IMG_20170605_140027686.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks. JW the steel at the top is going to be a canopy for the 2nd level. Maybe with the tenants having their own deck they won't go in the yard as much.
You can't really tell from the picture but the spindles are square and so are the corner posts but all the other steel is rectangular. The advantage is it still looks solid but its not as bulky looking. The rectangular steel naturally is more expensive than just square steel. My wife and I looked at hundreds of porches before deciding on this design. Literally we have been driving around taking pictures of ppls porches for weeks. It's not so unusual but the rectangular pieces gives it a more interesting look.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Probably the largest goldfish I had passed on last night. It was a really pretty spotted orange color and it was the nicest from my fish purchase from last fall when I installed my new pond. The problem I'm having is because I have so little time to spend on the pond it's tough to really maintain it. I'm thinking because I have a lot of algae and this was the biggest fish it might have been an O2 problem. The pump and filter I'm using is creating some water flow but probably not enough. My guess is I need to clean the filter because the flow is much lower than what it was originally. I'm thinking of setting up my old pump to get more water moving in the meantime until I clean the filter. I did fill it up tonight with about 100 gallons or more because some of my plants were exposed in their baskets. The water splashes around a lot when it comes out of my filter and I'm sure a lot of water is wasted by evaporation. It hasn't rained here in 10 days so that's not helping. I think we are moving in two weeks or so from now. Once I'm there it will be a lot easier to take care of. I think I have lost at least a dozen or more fish this spring. Typically with my old pond at the most I would lose is one fish per year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I'm sorry you lost such a special fish :( It's got to be hard to keep up with the pond, while not living there.....it'll soon get easier.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It is hard when you have workers at your place to keep up with what the do when you are not there .I lost a brand new liner to my front porch build and I was here when it happened .I was just lucky my fish were still in the preformed pond yet .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sorry you lost your fish and hope by you being there soon on a permanent basis it will correct the problems. I am sad when I lose any one of my fishes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks. Well it is a new pond and not even officially set up with a properly working uv light and haven't really cleaned the filter or done water changes this year. Plus there is an assortment of stuff falling in all the time from sawdust from cutting the cedar boards, masonry and sand, metal burs from cutting the metal porch, dust from cement board and who knows what else is falling in. I have to keep telling everyone not to cut there stuff right next to the pond, but when I had a dead fish I was surprised how many people knew about and told me about it from the plumbers to the carpenters. electricians etc. I think the biggest issue is not being able to monitor it and do basic maintenance. I guess the fact the majority have survived is good but I hate to put them through this.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Darn, I sure hope you don't lose any more! Soon you will be living there and this stress will go away and you will make your pond happy again!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh, so sorry @CometKeith ! And we have a hot weekend coming up - hopefully the construction gets to the point that you can move in and get things right with your pond! You're doing your best, but I know it still feels like not enough when one of our fish friends doesn't make it.

Ask a Question