My goldfish pond

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Awesome work Keith! I'd say any of these 3 spots could work if you still want a falls.
IMG_0088.JPG

A would not be as visible but could provide nice circulation. B looks like it would be more a vertical falls but highly visible from all over especially from the grassy play area. C is what I would call the hidden falls as it's under the tree & mostly visible from the back side if you were to add a bench to watch the grandson play. B & C are also hard for him to reach. But might I recommend a temporary decorative fence around the pond anyway to help with th curious toddler years when a second is all they need to get away from you. And most of all congrats on the grandson! My younger brother just had his first child last week, also a boy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks Nathan for your suggestions and congrats on your new nephew! B is where I had it before and just got rid of all the rock. It's really interesting at our old house I had pretty much free reign and got to do outside almost whatever I wanted. Now my wife is very involved with all the aesthetics. Supposedly she is much better at it than me! Anyway I think I need to acquiesce for now and plan future strategies for improving the pond with stuff she won't object to. My wife is so worried about a play area and we live only 1/2 mile to the beach. I keep telling her going to the beach will be a lot more fun for a little kid than playing in a 70 SF grassy area. Eventually I think I'll get my waterfall!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Your grandson will soon be big enough to enjoy playing around the pond - the grass will be a second thought! Our oldest grandchild turns 7 this week - it happens so fast! - and all of ours love hunting frogs and feeding the fish.

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Your grandson will soon be big enough to enjoy playing around the pond - the grass will be a second thought! Our oldest grandchild turns 7 this week - it happens so fast! - and all of ours love hunting frogs and feeding the fish.
Your absolutely right! My 10 yr old was 2-3 running around the ledges of my first pond while I was digging it lol

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Thanks Nathan for your suggestions and congrats on your new nephew! B is where I had it before and just got rid of all the rock. It's really interesting at our old house I had pretty much free reign and got to do outside almost whatever I wanted. Now my wife is very involved with all the aesthetics. Supposedly she is much better at it than me! Anyway I think I need to acquiesce for now and plan future strategies for improving the pond with stuff she won't object to. My wife is so worried about a play area and we live only 1/2 mile to the beach. I keep telling her going to the beach will be a lot more fun for a little kid than playing in a 70 SF grassy area. Eventually I think I'll get my waterfall!

I'm lucky in that my wife pretty much has given up trying to influence my garden lol but I agree with you the beach is a much better option but I also agree with her that a small spot at home will be nice too. I think you have space for both of you to get what you want but agree with you most on waiting. Lol happy wife happy life isn't just a saying for a plaque on the wall

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
That last waterfall is absolutely beautiful! I think maybe you favored pond #4 based on the number of photos you posted... at least I think those were all #4!
haha. The photos from pond 4 were all labeled correctly. Here are a few more pictures from pond 3. Now guess which was my favorite! Lisak/Gemma there are a few pond tours by you next weekend. The Midwest Pond and Koi Society is having it's North and Northwest tour on Sunday (you have to buy the map book at Lurvey's) and the North Suburban Pond and Garden Walk on the 28th and 29th.
IMG_20180722_161913158 (1).jpg
IMG_20180722_161938366.jpg
IMG_20180722_161951960.jpg
IMG_20180722_162006568.jpg
IMG_20180722_162025607.jpg
IMG_20180722_162040563.jpg
IMG_20180722_162108621.jpg
IMG_20180722_162134034.jpg
IMG_20180722_162150127.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Just gorgeous!

We have family coming from out of town for a funeral, or I would so be on that Midwest Koi tour. On one of our first Aquascape tours, one of the houses on the tour was actually on both tours on the same day - I'll never forget that pond. It was essentially his whole backyard. Gorgeous!

I'm determined to make the August Aquascape tour - already on my calendar!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for posting all these beautiful pics, I am truly inspired. I really like that pond right next to the house, I would do that for sure if I could.
Barb

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks for posting all these beautiful pics, I am truly inspired. I really like that pond right next to the house, I would do that for sure if I could.
Barb
Hi Barb. Yes that was a beautiful pond. If you look at the first set of pictures with the one labeled pond 3 that's the front of that pond. The pond by the house you like connects to the front pond and the curved bridge goes over the middle where they meet.
Hmmm.... I showed the two pictures of pond bridges to my wife and for now she is on board with us building a bridge over the pond!

Ask a Question