My goldfish pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm getting a giggle from that door on pond 3.... I hope there are no drunkards that live there.
haha. re the door. I think it was the garage and the owner keeps his pond equipment there. It definitely was not a door to the house!
Your garden is just gorgeous, looks like a real labor of love.
Thanks Tara. but........that was the garden at the house with pond number 3. I didn't show any pictures of the grounds for pond number 4 but it was on 4 wooded acres with the house in the middle of it. You couldn't see any neighbor houses from the pond or the area immediately next to the house.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
lol get building!
Haha. Thanks Addy. It would actually be pretty easy to do. I have some extra cedar decking saved in my garage that we used from the porch and I have a few carpenters that work for us. She liked the flat bridge. That would be the easiest to build. I tried to imagine what it would be like to walk over the middle of the pond and I think it would be pretty cool. I'm not going to see any more ponds on Saturday. My wife wants to clean out the garage for the third time this year and go to a neighborhood sidewalk sale. I'll probably just go see ponds on Sunday.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We visited a property on a garden tour once that had a bridge over the pond that was SO STEEP it was scary to walk on. It was in a Japanese style garden and very very pretty, but man was that thing scary! It had a handrail that was about 12 inches off the ground - perfectly useless! Anytime someone mentions a bridge over a pond, that one pops into my head.

I'm sure you would build a very useful bridge @CometKeith !

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Haha. Thanks Addy. It would actually be pretty easy to do. I have some extra cedar decking saved in my garage that we used from the porch and I have a few carpenters that work for us. She liked the flat bridge. That would be the easiest to build. I tried to imagine what it would be like to walk over the middle of the pond and I think it would be pretty cool. I'm not going to see any more ponds on Saturday. My wife wants to clean out the garage for the third time this year and go to a neighborhood sidewalk sale. I'll probably just go see ponds on Sunday.

He doesn't have his pond anymore but look back at Tmans builds. He had a bridge across his I believe.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
We visited a property on a garden tour once that had a bridge over the pond that was SO STEEP it was scary to walk on. It was in a Japanese style garden and very very pretty, but man was that thing scary! It had a handrail that was about 12 inches off the ground - perfectly useless! Anytime someone mentions a bridge over a pond, that one pops into my head.

I'm sure you would build a very useful bridge @CometKeith !
The first pond we saw with a bridge which sloped up and down there was a woman reluctant to walk on it so she just sat on one side of the pond!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Nathan. Thanks. It would be something like that. I'm thinking it might be helpful to have a bridge if I wanted build something to cover the pond in the winter. Then I would have something in the middle to connect to. So many things to consider! I lost getting my waterfall but maybe am getting a bridge instead. I have spent the last week off and on removing dirt from the area my waterfall was going. It's pretty flat now. I just need to move one shrub and put down some dirt and grass now.

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Nathan. Thanks. It would be something like that. I'm thinking it might be helpful to have a bridge if I wanted build something to cover the pond in the winter. Then I would have something in the middle to connect to. So many things to consider! I lost getting my waterfall but maybe am getting a bridge instead. I have spent the last week off and on removing dirt from the area my waterfall was going. It's pretty flat now. I just need to move one shrub and put down some dirt and grass now.
I just let the snow & ice cover mine with a pump moving water underneath. Worked so far. My personal theory has always been when it's that cold all micro activity slows down including decay, so what's really escaping? My fish losses were always tied to oxygen levels as it was the big ones who died due to slight overpopulation & lack of a big enough pump to circulate water under the ice. I lost most fish during a typical winter with ave temps due to an undersized pump circulating the water with a high fish load. All had survived the previous winter with extreme cold & days/week with temps never above zero.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Finished moving the shrub next to pond and put down some sod. First my goldfish.
IMG_20180728_135640887.jpg
IMG_20180729_133914888 (1).jpg
IMG_20180729_134008631.jpg
IMG_20180729_133908229.jpg
The sod went were the waterfall was contemplated. Well that's a child's play area now I guess. A few thoughts... I like having lilies and floating plants in my pond. I saw a great pond today with only Koi but it felt like something was missing by not having plants in it. I'm still thinking about getting Koi but don't want to give up my plants either!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I went on more of the pond tour today. I saw 3 today but there were probably more than 20 available to see this weekend. Here is the largest pond I saw today. The person who designed and built it was also there. It was built 3 years ago. It was almost 11,000 gallons and has pumps recirculating water at over 10,000 gallons per hour.
IMG_20180729_144506831.jpg
IMG_20180729_144515260.jpg
IMG_20180729_144519715.jpg
IMG_20180729_145146423.jpg
IMG_20180729_145253887.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Your pond looks great! And I agree about ponds without plants - I mean, the fish are beautiful, but I'm a gardener first and foremost. Without plants it's just a hole in the ground for fish. And I have both koi and plants in my pond - they co-exist peacefully. Keep your fish fed and they will leave the plants alone. The only time they do any kind of damage is when they are spawning, and that's short lived.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Your pond looks great! And I agree about ponds without plants - I mean, the fish are beautiful, but I'm a gardener first and foremost. Without plants it's just a hole in the ground for fish. And I have both koi and plants in my pond - they co-exist peacefully. Keep your fish fed and they will leave the plants alone. The only time they do any kind of damage is when they are spawning, and that's short lived.

Thanks Lisak for the advice. I have my heart set on buying a few Sanke Koi I found on line. I have learned a lot about Koi in the last 6 months and would really like to try my hand at raising them. Also there would be a two fold advantage of getting them. The other one is my wife still thinks the pond is too large. I have brought up more than once that she was able to design the inside of our property any way she wanted as long as I got the garden and pond I wanted, but I do want her to be happy too. I think if we had some larger fish (Koi) in the pond her opinion of how large the pond is might change and that she might think it is the right size for the fish in it! I'm sitting on my 2nd floor deck as I type this This is a night view of the pond that I can see right now.
IMG_20180729_214521131_LL.jpg

Last edited:

Ask a Question