My goldfish pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
What is this "too large pond" you speak of? I don't believe that's an actual possibility! haha!

Absolutely gorgeous nighttime view! And if you had koi, you'd be able to see them from up there!
Thank you! Well I broke down and ordered the two I wanted. They are both Sanke about 5-6 inches. One concern I had was mixing goldfish and Koi in the same pond and the people I spoke to on the pond tour that had both did not have any problems. I hope everything goes well! I should get them later this week :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
No matter how often I feed my koi, they mess with my plants......mine have a curious nature and like rooting through pots and nosing through floating plants. Truthfully they don't really damage the floating plants and I zip tie deer fencing across the top of my lily pots to keep them from removing the kitty litter....a bit of an effort but worth it to have both plants and koi :)

Anxious to see your new koi babies :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
mine have a curious nature and like rooting through pots and nosing through floating plants.

Mine do the same, but like you said they don't really do any damage. They will pull newly planted lilies out of the pots, but they don't destroy them - just leave them floating for pond-mom to plant again! I've seen tons and tons of ponds full of koi that are beautifully planted - the myth that you can't have both is exactly that.

Having said that, a pond full of plants in pots would be a koi playground. Get as many plants naturalized as possible and you'll be fine. I think the whole "koi or plants - pick one" concept comes from the dedicated koi pond world where they also don't want rocks and they keep a pond fully (or over) stocked with lots of great big koi. Without rocks and gravel in the pond it would be difficult to keep plants in place long enough for them to get rooted.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@CometKeith I have had my 2 shubbies in the koi pond for 11 yrs and they are good together! They have no problem at feeding time, they grew really large so they eat the same food as the koi
As for the plants I agree a planted pond is more attractive, I choose to separate the plants from the fish, not because the koi would eat them, but because coming spawning time now that I keep females (used to only have males) too many eggs would hide in the plants and turn into unwanted fry'

You're doing a great job with your pond! Good luck with your new sanke.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Wonder if you can answer my question: If a Sanke loses most or ALL of the red, is it still considered a Sanke ?
Hey Gemma. I would suppose once they are a certain variety of fish they are always the same variety even if something happens to them and they changed somehow. I did some reading on Koi losing their color and according to what I read it relates to three things; genetics, stress, and spawning. I thought this was pretty informative.
http://koionline.forumotion.com/t796-why-do-koi-lose-its-red

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@CometKeith I have had my 2 shubbies in the koi pond for 11 yrs and they are good together! They have no problem at feeding time, they grew really large so they eat the same food as the koi
As for the plants I agree a planted pond is more attractive, I choose to separate the plants from the fish, not because the koi would eat them, but because coming spawning time now that I keep females (used to only have males) too many eggs would hide in the plants and turn into unwanted fry'

You're doing a great job with your pond! Good luck with your new sanke.
Thanks. I hope it works out. i know my pond is a little higher ph than most because of all the limestone but am hoping that doesn't hurt anything.
No matter how often I feed my koi, they mess with my plants......mine have a curious nature and like rooting through pots and nosing through floating plants. Truthfully they don't really damage the floating plants and I zip tie deer fencing across the top of my lily pots to keep them from removing the kitty litter....a bit of an effort but worth it to have both plants and koi :)

Anxious to see your new koi babies :)
Thanks Tula. So the ones I am getting do not have a lot of black (sumi) because I have read the black keeps getting stronger over time. Re: Lilies. Mine are free floating. It doesn't seem to hurt them. I have about 100 leaves on my main lily but it has been spinning around lately when it feels like it!

Ask a Question