j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I never thought I would want rain here but boy was it nice when we got that dumping yesterday! @CometKeith your pond looks so nice and your grass can't get any greener! I water my gardens but not our grass unless it is in the way of the gardens, then it will get some. All our grass is pretty brown now. Too much to water w/us having over an acre of it! It always comes back green when the rains come back.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
said it was supposed to rain here all weekend and have only seen sun and felt the heat and humidity .I am getting my late crop of strawberries .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
The pond looks beautiful ! I love the lush green grass, it provides contrast to stone and brick. You're lucky to have that little tree so near your pond, I think it adds character. I know you've tinkered with it a lot, but by joe, I think you've got it :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I never thought I would want rain here but boy was it nice when we got that dumping yesterday! @CometKeith your pond looks so nice and your grass can't get any greener! I water my gardens but not our grass unless it is in the way of the gardens, then it will get some. All our grass is pretty brown now. Too much to water w/us having over an acre of it! It always comes back green when the rains come back.
Thanks JW. Yes I am a watering junkie! Every morning and evening and every day unless it rains. I think every day here for the last 6 weeks has been 80's or 90's and it has only rained a handful of times. I also put a lot of seed in front of our property and have been water that like crazy too. My property is about 1/9th of an acre (5000 SF) so it much easier to water than yours! ummm... by the way we have a very large lot for the city!
Your pond looks like it is doing great @CometKeith .
Thanks Tara. I have't cleaned the filter since I put it in this year because I pointed the cleanout nozzle too close to the garage and can't fit a hose on it, but all the plants are doing a nice job of keeping the water clean. I have a lot of birds and insects enjoying the pond and my neighbors have commented to me they like the noise of the water splashing. My fish seem very happy.
The pond looks beautiful ! I love the lush green grass, it provides contrast to stone and brick. You're lucky to have that little tree so near your pond, I think it adds character. I know you've tinkered with it a lot, but by joe, I think you've got it :)
Thanks Tula. It's a pear tree....maybe Bradford Pear? It's actually the only living thing in my yard from the old owners. All the branches were cut off when we cleared out the yard and it was left for dead but it came back amazingly. I think it grew almost 10 ft this year. It has lots of pears. We need to figure out when to pick the fruit. I found a few pictures of it from 2 -3 years ago when we first bought the property and then started to dig the pond.The transition is pretty amazing! The last picture shows the tree and fruit now. I just noticed my shadow is in the picture!
20151022_182225.jpg
View attachment 114704
20151024_135748.jpg
20160825_191717.jpg
20160824_170641.jpg
IMG_20180810_171241625.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It's not a Bradford pear if it's producing edible fruit. And you'd know if it was a Bradford in the spring when it flowers - they smell horrible. Like dead fish. They've actually become a nuisance plant because they are so overused in landscapes, and while they are said to be sterile, they actually have the ability to cross pollinate with other pears and ruin the fruit. As a tree goes, they have a weak structure and generally self destruct rather quickly - which is the good news.

My neighbor planted them in his back yard, against the fence line. We get the stench every spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It's not a Bradford pear if it's producing edible fruit. And you'd know if it was a Bradford in the spring when it flowers - they smell horrible. Like dead fish. They've actually become a nuisance plant because they are so overused in landscapes, and while they are said to be sterile, they actually have the ability to cross pollinate with other pears and ruin the fruit. As a tree goes, they have a weak structure and generally self destruct rather quickly - which is the good news.

My neighbor planted them in his back yard, against the fence line. We get the stench every spring.
Yes you are right. We had a Bradford Pear at our last property and I am very familiar with them. I meant to say Bartlett Pear.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I am amazed at the work you have done ,geeze the remodel the pond and you must be really proud and the future will be bright .I love my fruit trees and my pear tree is loaded this year as long as the deer leave me some I am happy

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol I just typed up about Bradford pears and then read the rest and saw you said bartlett pear!

Good! I dislike the Bradford pear trees.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Keep a eyeball on them if the neighbors let them do the wide spread type growing, ie branches spreading out low and wide, they will come down easily. Our neighborhood has a lot of them, they are constantly breaking, taking out cars, fences etc.

Ask a Question