My goldfish pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well. I lost a goldfish. I'm guessing it had a digestive tract problem. It was crooked on one side for a while and then got larger and larger but not in a good way. I gave it some green peas and other greens I could find and then switched to some antibiotic food I had. I think if I could have caught it and isolated it right away I could have proved better treatment. Poor little fish. I'm glad it doesn't have to suffer any more. I didn't even want to take it's picture. It really did not look good in the end :(
So sorry!:(

Good luck with the new Sanke, I'm curious to see how they develop

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
So sorry!:(

Good luck with the new Sanke, I'm curious to see how they develop
Thanks. I actually ordered some new food because I always feed flake food and I was thinking it might not be enough for the Koi. It came today.... a big 40lb bag from Drs Foster and Smith! It was on sale so I probably bought more than I needed. My wife couldn't believe I got so much. It is more like a bag of dog food!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Poor fish, sorry he's gone but you gave it a try to fix him.
Thanks. I think I was too busy with our landscaping and gardening when he first got sick to react. At first I thought something fell on him because he was so bent, but then he kept getting worse and worse as his whole body blew up. I have seen fish with intestinal problems be
Oh, that's too bad @CometKeith . It's always sad to lose a fish.
Thank you. It's the first one I lost since coming out of the winter. I guess that could happen when you have 50 or 60 fish that you lose one occasionally but if it was one of my favorites I would have been heartbroken!
Sorry to hear but you did what you needed to do .I have been there with 2 dogs that got cancer and it broke my heart .We tried to cure them but it was not going well and in the end we need to stop and do what we have to do .I lost 4 baby fish to cats .I put window screening in the pond to catch them by throwing food in it and caught 9 of them for people and cats got them that night and I felt guilty as heck .
Thank you. We have several friends with cancer. Have to keep things in perspective. It was only a fish!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks. I actually ordered some new food because I always feed flake food and I was thinking it might not be enough for the Koi. It came today.... a big 40lb bag from Drs Foster and Smith! It was on sale so I probably bought more than I needed. My wife couldn't believe I got so much. It is more like a bag of dog food!
I've been buying the Omega One koi stick (was buying pellet form but I didn't like the foam in the water) 8lb bucket and it worked great, lasted all summer when I used to replace the large koi with new babies, but now that I stopped doing that and my koi are getting big I'm already at my second bucket and I fed them krill as well, I will need to buy a lot more next year!....I wonder what a 40lb bucket would look like:ROFLMAO:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I saw both my hubbies parents go though cancer and pass away and my cousin died last year from cancer .I took care of mom and dad until the end .Since I don't feed my fish often I get 11 lb bags and let them clean their own house

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I saw both my hubbies parents go though cancer and pass away and my cousin died last year from cancer .I took care of mom and dad until the end .Since I don't feed my fish often I get 11 lb bags and let them clean their own house

Sorry Sissy about your family members. We have lost family in the last few years and it's not easy. My father n law used to be the only person that knew the baby fish I had in the pond and it was always special to sit with him by the pond and talk....
Well one of the pumps I use has been slowly diminishing it's flow rate to almost a trickle. It's a Laguna and pumps over 1000 GPH. I use it to just circulate water and it's not connected to a filter or anything else. I have looked at the cage around it and it is pretty clean so i can't see anything impeding water circulation. I pulled it out yesterday and replaced it with another pump attached to the same hosing and that's working fine. I wonder if i can take apart the pump to see what's wrong?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It is hard but memories are always great .People used to say I thought your mom and dad died a long time ago and I have to tell them that these are my mom and dad in law .I think it shocked them that I was close to them as they were to me .I moved down here to retire near them and mom died late 2005 and dad died in 2007 and my dear cousin Sandy died last year and my brother died suddenly this year .But I have my memories and my love for them .I had gunk struck in the impeller of my laguna and pulled the shaft and cleaned that also .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Here is a picture I took of my pond today. I bought one water lettuce and one water hyacinth in mid June and put them in the pond. I took out about 20 or 30 plants the last few days, but I need to take out a lot more than that! Free plants to anyone in the Chicago area if you want to pick them up! ....by the way you can see the new sod I put down a few weeks ago on both sides of the pond. So far it is looking good.
IMG_20180811_164829684.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Looks great! The rain we had this week was good for your new sod!
Haha....and the fact I am constantly watering it and all the new shrubs ,plants, grass seed, etc. we planted this year. I spend 45 minutes almost every morning and afternoon watering! I can't use a sprinkler in the front of our property because there are too many people walking by so I always hand water. My neighbor even commented to me this morning that me and his wife are probably the only ones around that pray for rain!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
me and his wife are probably the only ones around that pray for rain!

And me! I was cheering when it rained this week. Saved me a good hour of watering after work! And there's nothing like rain. You can water all you want, but a good rain just greens everything up.

Ask a Question