addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes I am a watering junkie! Every morning and evening and every day unless it rains. I think every day here for the last 6 weeks has been 80's or 90's and it has only rained a handful of times.
We need it to stop raining, nothing but rain rain rain flash floods flood warnings almost daily. I think we are heading to a bit of a dry spell again, well for two - four days.

We are up to 39 inches of rain per my rain gauge. We usually get around 40 or less in a year

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Keep a eyeball on them if the neighbors let them do the wide spread type growing, ie branches spreading out low and wide, they will come down easily.

Exactly! They are a weak tree by their very nature - they were bred by the USDA int he 1960s and introduced as a "small" flowering landscape tree. They grow fast and huge and then fall apart for the next ten years. They've become a scourge.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There are three down in our neighborhood right now. We have none on our property.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Glad the neighbors like the sound!

What a transformation! Good job
Thank you. The previously owner grew a lot of asian vegetables and herbs. He even gave us some seeds to plant, but we didn't want to go the route of a vegetable garden and had our own ideas how it should look. Re sound: The sound helps mask the sound of airplanes going to O'Hare Airport. We are not super close to it at all, but we are directly under one of the routes they take to get there. We live in a pretty dense city neighborhood, but most people are nice so even though it's more crowded than the suburb we were in before we moved, in a lot of ways it's a lot nicer :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I sure envy all that water lettuce from just one plant. I put in one plant in May and now I have 2! Too much sun and very hard water here? Your pond is great!
Thanks Barb. I try to keep a lot of water moving. I think that helps. Last year my wl and wh barely grew. This year they are going crazy. My wife was trying to figure out where all the plants came from. From watching me and my pond the last 10 years she knows I can be a little sneaky. I did sneak in two Koi a month ago that she doesn't know I bought.... It didn't even dawn on me she might be guessing I was constantly buying new plants and adding them every day. When I explained they all came from two plants total... one wh and one wl she couldn't believe it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Now I wonder if lots of moving water is the key to WL growing like yours? I just have a small waterfall.
I think that's probably making the difference. I bought a Koi Air mini last fall and it throws out a ton of bubbles and moves the water pretty well. I have noticed that since I installed it my fish are more active and the floating plants this year are growing like crazy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks all! Here are a few more pics from different views. This year we planted shrubs, sod, and installed pavers along with finishing the edging of the pond and moving it away from the garage. Also I landscaped the front of the property including planting shrubs and digging up the grass to make a bermed planting area and digging up some of the lawn and reseeding it, and mulching and planting perennials in the parkway. Except for the paver work and getting help to move the pond liner, and using a laborer for one day, I did all the rest of the work myself. The hard part is I water the front and back 45 minutes each twice a day. I think it has only rained a half dozen times the whole summer! When the shrubs grow the vegetation will look a lot fuller. I included a few pics from Millenium Park. We went there tonight to hear Carmina Burana. It was a really nice evening. There were beautiful clouds moving across the sky as we listened to opera!
IMG_20180817_091021964.jpg
IMG_20180817_090839546.jpg
IMG_20180817_090303827.jpg
IMG_20180817_090312742.jpg
IMG_20180817_090815050.jpg
IMG_20180817_090905589.jpg
IMG_20180817_202030819_LL.jpg
IMG_20180817_202022909_LL.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Beautiful!

I would recommend you start planning for timed irrigation - we put all our soakers on hose timers this year and added some hoses in the raised beds - LIFE CHANGING. Watering happens with or without me. Now I just pay attention to when we get rain so I can pause the schedule if I need to.

We have found that watering new shrubs and bushes is even more important in year two and three - we would assume “they came back in the spring - all is well.” Nope. Water water water. As you know, we have cycles of heavy rain and then nothing for weeks and weeks - plants suffer but may not show it until the next year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Keith, I wish you were my neighbor who invited us to visit and enjoy your pond once in awhile, sitting at that table. It is really a place of beauty! Is the red brick building a garage? I had thought it was your house until I see the other pics you showed us. Very well done!
Barb

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Keith, I wish you were my neighbor who invited us to visit and enjoy your pond once in awhile, sitting at that table. It is really a place of beauty! Is the red brick building a garage? I had thought it was your house until I see the other pics you showed us. Very well done!
Barb
HI Barb. Thank you. Yes it's the garage. It's an old Chicago style red brick garage. When we bought the property my wife asked if we should just tear it down because it was in such bad condition! Well after demoing the interior drywall and plywood, pressure washing and tuckpointing the brick inside and out, new electric including led recessed lighting and 200 amp service for this and our basement, alarm system, new insulated garage doors and man door, new granulated bituminous rubber roof and rebuild the parapet walls, new Kynar black steel gutters, new Jeld Wen black low e double hung clad windows and new glass block on the sides, fixing the cement floor,new drywall ceiling.... it is in pretty decent shape now! It's a three car garage with high ceilings. This is where I'm going to be someday if my wife ever kicks me out! I have my bicycle there, my pond nearby, and I can plug in a beer frig and be perfectly happy! It did have gas and water at one point, but we didn't reinstall them when we did the rehab. I thought about adding a green roof to either it or our main building lately, but researched the cost and found it to be very expensive.

Ask a Question