j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Very nice Keith and your water looks nice and clear. Can see the fish staring up at you asking for food :fish2: :goldfish:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks, I have been feeding them a little, but haven't gone too crazy. I had my bio-filter off for only a couple hours, used about half the old water, and some of the larger rocks, so hopefully am not starting from scratch with the beneficial bacteria. A few thing I noticed were not a single snail to be found in the entire pond even though a month ago I had some really nice large trap door ones and a few apple snails. Also no baby fish at all. I think my frog was in hiding or somewhere else and expect him to show up at some point. Also I think the raccoons are bored now and are eating the water hyacinths. Check out the picture of one of them I found this morning by the edge of the pond,

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 373

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I see raccoon finger prints all over that plant and they are eating your snails and baby fish too.
I hear tmann is in the raccoon business now.................you can just drop him over at his place..........he's got tons of grapes for the little guy :rolleyes:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I know racoons love snails, didn't know they ate hyacinths. With as much trouble as I have catching a fish, surprised they can catch them!

So far they have not visited my pond for quite a few months, have see a few prints at the beginning of the summer, nothing since

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yes the raccoon will eat snails, I caught one several nights ago sitting in my creek just crunching away he looked up at me then went back to eating. I have not seen them eat my hyacinths yet however they have eaten almost all my grapes so they may move onto them in the coming days.

Hey JW I am at my quota on raccoons at the Tmanns' place, 3 nights ago my wife woke up to 5 on the patio and arbor, the two kids and 3 adult ones.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yes the raccoon will eat snails, I caught one several nights ago sitting in my creek just crunching away he looked up at me then went back to eating. I have not seen them eat my hyacinths yet however they have eaten almost all my grapes so they may move onto them in the coming days.

Hey JW I am at my quota on raccoons at the Tmanns' place, 3 nights ago my wife woke up to 5 on the patio and arbor, the two kids and 3 adult ones.

Ok tmann I'll take the ad outta the paper on where to deliver excess raccoons...............might be too late for about a dozen of them tho
biggrin.gif

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Ok tmann I'll take the ad outta the paper on where to deliver excess raccoons...............might be too late for about a dozen of them tho
biggrin.gif

laughing jw! he will be boxing them and send to you soon!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Tis ok isn't it cuz Keith started talking about his raccoons?

Keith hope your frog shows up again at your pond..........there is that better tmann
happydance2.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm sure the frog will come back. I didn't see it for weeks and then found it sitting by one of the outside lights waiting for bugs to come by. My family likes the frog more than the fish. I raised him from a tadpole and this is his second summer with us. I think I am done raising raccoon snacks(snails). This is the second year they exterminated all the snails.
Thanks pinon ponder, but every time I try to while a way the time at the pond someone reminds me that I have work to do! I found this definition of while(wile): Users may have been thinking of the sense of wile that means deceit or deception, so that the idea in to wile away time was to steal time illicitly from one's proper duties.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Tmann, I just read your baby raccoon thread. Great pics. We have the same kind of visitors and they make a mess of the pond, but I don't think they have ever caught any of our fish. I did see raccoon paw prints on the liner in a plant shelf about a week after I put the new liner in, so they are certainly not afraid of water. Over a year ago I did find a goldfish with it's head bitten off, but I think a local cat caught a sick goldfish and not a raccoon.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I see raccoon prints quite often, but have not seen any plant or fish damage, it seems they just come to drink and move on. It has been a month or more since I have even seen their prints, so the pond did not keep their attention.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Addy, I took your advice and am using some of the excess liner to make the sides more even and raise the edges in a few spots where the walls were low. The pond is slowly growing again. I think one day my wife will notice it grew when when it takes up the whole yard!

Ask a Question