My Koi Addiction....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Hi Gemma. So the big questions is what kind of filtration do you have? I know the boring but.... very important stuff! That will give an indicator of what your pond can hold. I'm looking into getting a bead filter with an external pump this spring. Something like this for the filter. https://webbsonline.com/Item/Ultima-II-Bio-Tube-Filter-11190
I'm guessing you should probably have something a lot better for you pond size and bio-load. from what I understand the most preferable ones are like this or larger if you have room. https://www.azponds.com/product/kodama-bio-clean-pond-filter-5000-gallons/
Hi ,
I'm not an expert in filtration, but I take really good care of my mechanical filter.
I have the simple skimmer and bio-fall, they are decent size in both ponds. rated for larger volume of water. The fall tubs are filled with Matala pads. I have Matala pads in the skimmer boxes as well, plus some extra pads to polish the water further. I rinse all my mechanical filter pads daily during the active season.
I might decide to add a shower filter like this one
on the new pond (no room in the other pond) it is the nicest looking one I've seen so far.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Hi ,
I'm not an expert in filtration, but I take really good care of my mechanical filter.
I have the simple skimmer and bio-fall, they are decent size in both ponds. rated for larger volume of water. The fall tubs are filled with Matala pads. I have Matala pads in the skimmer boxes as well, plus some extra pads to polish the water further. I rinse all my mechanical filter pads daily during the active season.
I might decide to add a shower filter like this one
on the new pond (no room in the other pond) it is the nicest looking one I've seen so far.
It sounds like you have good filtration going on. Is a shower filter also called a trickle down tower? With almost a 10000 gallon pond you probably can have a lot more Koi if your filtration is good. Over the summer I saw a 11000 gallon pond with 30 or 40 Koi in it. It really depends how good your filters are and of course the water movement. Also since you are cleaning your mechanical filters every day you are really on top of things. I would say go for it if you want to add a few more. Over time if you see your filters can't keep up then you will need to add more filtration.

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question