My Koi Addiction....

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@audioenvy , my pond has been covered with ice and snow for the past two weeks so it was nice to see pics of some fish today.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
@audioenvy , my pond has been covered with ice and snow for the past two weeks so it was nice to see pics of some fish today.

Yeah it must be awful out there lately. I've been seeing all these photos on Facebook of midwestern ponds covered in 4" of thick nasty ice. A lot of people were understandably unprepared for how friggin cold it has been in the last several days and even the deicers are freezing over.

My outside temps are in the 30s but at least the sun is out and the solar cover keeps the water above 50 degrees. It could be WAY WAY worse.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Currently melted watch the fish swimming around yesterday.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
No freeze here, too warm w/our pineapple express weather from Hawaii happening now. Your fish look big and beautiful @Dave 54

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
No freeze here, too warm w/our pineapple express weather from Hawaii happening now. Your fish look big and beautiful @Dave 54
I think you mean audio's fish, hey jw? And they do look real nice. Been considering getting a shiro utsuri (white with black patching) but seems the exact pattern I like is really really expensive. If I could find a small one, in the 5" range and local, might get one just to say I did.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think you mean audio's fish, hey jw? And they do look real nice. Been considering getting a shiro utsuri (white with black patching) but seems the exact pattern I like is really really expensive. If I could find a small one, in the 5" range and local, might get one just to say I did.

Yes I did Mr Sword,lol! Thanks for the correction :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well it must be Spring! I'm starting to look at buying Koi again.... either Sankes or Showas. I found some nice ones on the internet in various sizes from 5-6 inch, 6-7, 7-8, or 9-10. I leaning towards 6-7 inch or 7-8 inch. You can get an idea of what their true colors might be as they move to adulthood, but are still relatively inexpensive. I did find some 13-14 inch that were really nicely priced too and really beautiful so I'll have to decide if I want to get 2 or 3 smaller ones or one larger one. I think it might be fun to get a few of the smaller ones to have more variety but still deciding.....Obviously my addiction didn't go away over the winter!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@CometKeith thanks for bumping my favorite thread!
Spring is here and we are back in business! Yeah!
smrubhand.gif

I only have 1 Sanke, 2yr old female, but I'll soon re home her cause I have too many males and during spawn season the stress makes her miserable, not to mention the loss of color. She found some relief hiding in the skimmer box, but this year she would be too large to hide in there so the best thing for her is to go

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Why not rehome some of the males? Are you trying for a single gender pond? I’ve been watching my fish to try and guess which ones are female, no sign of breeding activity yet.

Ask a Question