My Koi Addiction....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
We put the winter cover over the pond today :( We're going to get some low temps this week, so it was a good day to do it. I now have to lift the cover and peek through the ugly cinder blocks to see them. It's certainly not an attractive view for the next few months.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm making a list of koi I would like in my new pond.
One absolutely must have is a GinRin Platinum Ogon butterfly
Another fish I know I will want is a Kikosui cause I have one and I love it!... and even if I'll end up moving this one to the new pond, I'll still want another one

I would also like another Shusui, but the Shusui from NextDay Koi althoughis very pretty, looks nothing like the Shusui that come up on any search I've done (Google or Youtube)
I would like to find one like the one on this video, does anyone know what kind of Shusui this is?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
We put the winter cover over the pond today :( We're going to get some low temps this week, so it was a good day to do it. I now have to lift the cover and peek through the ugly cinder blocks to see them. It's certainly not an attractive view for the next few months.
Does it mean you are done feeding them?
I've never covered my pond, I let the waterfalls run until they are frozen solid and some years they never reach that state

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Does it mean you are done feeding them?
I've never covered my pond, I let the waterfalls run until they are frozen solid and some years they never reach that state
No, I can still feed them, by lifting back the cover. They were too spooked to eat tonight, as the cover is a big change for them.

I covered the pond for the first time last winter, I wanted to try it based on some things I'd read. I'll always cover it from now on. The water remains open, no ice, and the fish are more active.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
No, I can still feed them, by lifting back the cover. They were too spooked to eat tonight, as the cover is a big change for them.

I covered the pond for the first time last winter, I wanted to try it based on some things I'd read. I'll always cover it from now on. The water remains open, no ice, and the fish are more active.
Maybe I should try that too! Would I need a specific type of cover?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Maybe I should try that too! Would I need a specific type of cover?
I've seen different materials used for the cover. We had an old pool solar cover and it worked well. There are lots of places on line to look for solar covers and @sissy 's article she posted on solar covers, mentioned Harris, as being a good value.

Lowes also has plastic sheeting, but I don't think it's as thick as a solar cover. Ours is a big rectangle, so we can double it, as our pond isn't too large. We keep it simple, using cement cinder blocks and 6 x 16 foot boards, to create a lean to.

I originally tried using PVC, but it collapsed :( I think the boards are sturdier, and we just store them in our basement, come Spring :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well I got my third Koi today. I bought in through e-bay and am very happy with it. Hopefully I can stop buying fish now :) Even though I had kinda stopped looking e-bay kept sending me reminders about fish I looked at with prices that were reduced or asking me to make an offer. I guess it is end of Koi buying season with winter setting in so some sellers are willing to go a little lower right now. Here is a picture of the new addition in the pond.
IMG_20171025_110251789.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hopefully you'll do better than I have done. I told myself ABSOLUTELY NO MORE FISH THIS YEAR but that was FOUR fish ago.
Audio, I would never do anything like that, but now I wonder why I decided I needed to install 200 amp service for our basement, garage, and pond. My electrician thought 100 amps would be more than enough. Was I thinking I might need the extra electric for the pond at some point?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Audio, I would never do anything like that, but now I wonder why I decided I needed to install 200 amp service for our basement, garage, and pond. My electrician thought 100 amps would be more than enough. Was I thinking I might need the extra electric for the pond at some point?

Haha, probably. Fortunately I have 5000 gallons to work with but I can tell right now I'm going to end up giving some of these fish away to buy other ones.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Audio. Good luck with that. So you are going to replace them when you go fish buying in Japan? That would be a fun trip to go on...
Thanks Addy. Hmmm. I have been trying to hide my addiction from my wife, but all she needs to do is look outside our back window to get a clue! The other thing I have a bunch of other addictive hobbies and interests so I think it's hard for her to focus on just one of them to be critical of.
So are you saying I shouldn't buy this fish too?
s-l300.jpg

It's so pretty and I love it's colors! Also there is a very good sale on it right now. It's a Yamato Nishiki which is a cross between a Sanke and a Platinum Ogon.
The poor fish I got came from sunny California to the frigid temperatures in Chicago. I tried looking for him this morning and didn't even see him for 10 minutes because he is huddling closer to the bottom where it is warmer. You guys will be getting our cold weather any day now :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I could see my breath this morning here in northern Illinois... not a happy development. And knowing I have to get in the pond one more time this season I am hoping for a warm up this weekend! The whole month of October I have been busy with family obligations... now it's down to the wire!

Very pretty fish @CometKeith !

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have a heavy frost coming in tomorrow. Who knows how long this bit of cold will leave and heat will come back.
I have a bunch of other addictive hobbies and interests so I think it's hard for her to focus on just one of them to be critical of.
Multiple addictions help! Keep her sidetracked!

My honey is addicted to craigs list and car buying, corvettes, Camaros, firebirds, he gets good deals..............those I can see. Right now the rule is sell one buy one!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Right now the rule is sell one buy one!

After working for three weeks to clean out my mom's house and pack her up to move to an apartment after 45 years in one home, I've adopted the Swedish model of "death packing". So right now I'm in the "one item in, THREE items out" mode! I try to find a few things every day that I can donate or trash. My new hobby - de-cluttering!

Ask a Question