My Koi Addiction....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Audio. Good luck with that. So you are going to replace them when you go fish buying in Japan? That would be a fun trip to go on...

The Japan trip is still in the dream stages for next year. But, yeah, if I'm able to go I would probably buy 4-5 fish. I'm assuming I'll have to make room for them by giving away some of my "lesser" fish.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
You might want to follow the Japan buying trips on pskoi.com. I find them very interesting. He posts lovely pictures and explains why a certain fish is considered better than another. I came real close to buying a small fish from him this spring.... but again.... I must not buy any more fish.... I must not buy any more fish.....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Keith, that is a beautiful koi and is a standard fin :)

I'll have to peek under the cover today and decide if I'm going to shot off the water fall. Ours falls like a sheet, in a straight drop from over 2 feet above, so am not comfortable running it in the winter...I think it cools the water too much. I'll keep the filter running.

@audioenvy , because I can't seem to part with any of my koi, no new ones come in. I've grown so attached to them over the years.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
You might want to follow the Japan buying trips on pskoi.com. I find them very interesting. He posts lovely pictures and explains why a certain fish is considered better than another. I came real close to buying a small fish from him this spring.... but again.... I must not buy any more fish.... I must not buy any more fish.....
Absolutely !! I love following Russ's trips, VERY informative. I almost caved last year and bought an ochiba from one of his trips.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b

Oh I definitely follow Russ. And many others. I've spent about two hours each evening watching footage from this years harvest.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
@CometKeith I really like that fish. I haven't gotten into butterfly/hirenaga or even gin rin fish at all (just not my personal preference) but the doitsu fish are interesting to me. That one is striking.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Speaking of addiction... It's not just purchasing for me. I also have been recording feedings with my undercover KoiKam and I watch them every evening. It lets me enjoy the fish even though the cover is on. I just have to lift the cover a couple of feet to toss the food in. My fish seem to love splashing around at least as much as eating.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I also find myself watching the live feed and taking snapshots. I'm definitely a hopeless addict.

1509033989139.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well I got my third Koi today. I bought in through e-bay and am very happy with it. Hopefully I can stop buying fish now :)
Is that what you think? I actually believe that the happier you are with your new fish, the more likely you are to be looking for more
smlaughing3.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
So are you saying I shouldn't buy this fish too?
s-l300.jpg

It's so pretty and I love it's colors! Also there is a very good sale on it right now. It's a Yamato Nishiki which is a cross between a Sanke and a Platinum Ogon.
The poor fish I got came from sunny California to the frigid temperatures in Chicago. I tried looking for him this morning and didn't even see him for 10 minutes because he is huddling closer to the bottom where it is warmer. You guys will be getting our cold weather any day now :)
Wow! Another cool looking koi!
I love Yamato Nishiki!!! I love all metallic koi so I'm not gonna hold you back, it's more likely that I offer to help you dig the pond
smlaughing3.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Audio. I think you are very addicted. Great pictures and that is so funny you can watch them under the covering.
Hmm. thanks Lisak. but the fish has been hiding all day. When I got home I couldn't see him at all. I hope everything is okay. The other fish know it's important to stay close to the top where they get fed! Should i be worrying?
Thanks Tula. I have been sticking with long fin so far because I have heard they are less likely to eat plants, but maybe I should be mixing different Koi and not just staying with long fin. I have to remember that some of these may be my friend for a long time. I need to put more thought into what I'm getting or do I?
Now I'm wondering if it's bad to get a fish right before the winter. Will it grow as well or will it be stunted because of the 5 or 6 months of no feeding? I didn't have these concerns with goldfish, but now with Koi everything is different Thanks for the encouragement everyone on buying another one but.... I thought this thread was on helping people with addictions?? I think Addy is probably the only sane person here and of course JW with her pretty goldfish. I'm wondering if i am going a little crazy. There are a lot of goldfish in my pond. I must have had at least 20 babies over the summer. Maybe I should take it slow.... but on the other hand I feel the Yomato Nishiki beckoning me and I can always rehome the goldfish babies I don't love. I have never culled my fish but there are a few black ones I could do without. Most of my black ones eventually turned a pretty orange but how long do you need to wait? Almost forgot.. This thread is on Koi NOT goldfish! Gemma you are a very bad influence! What is the worse that could happen if I buy just one more Koi? I wish e-bay would stop sending me reminders about fish I didn't buy. That's how I got "encouraged" to buy the one I just got.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Haha, probably. Fortunately I have 5000 gallons to work with but I can tell right now I'm going to end up giving some of these fish away to buy other ones.
Okay Audio. Which fish are you giving up to buy that Showa at Kodama? It's the only one I clicked on and you were the high bidder! You know the 14.2 inch female one. It's really nice. Hmmm... Maybe I should bid on it too! Just 1 day and 22 hours to decide....
Just kidding. I'm not buying that size fish anytime soon, It's really nice. I hope you get it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The Japan trip is still in the dream stages for next year. But, yeah, if I'm able to go I would probably buy 4-5 fish. I'm assuming I'll have to make room for them by giving away some of my "lesser" fish.
Audio...omg. you are bidding on another one too?? Stop! What are you going to do with them all? You will have another 4 this week if you keep it up. I'm afraid to click on any more because you are probably the high bidder on all of them!
You won't need to go to japan to buy any because you will have 100's or 1000's by the time you take that trip. You really need an intervention :)

Ask a Question