My Koi Addiction....

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
One cannot read about koi without reading about the Hi, the Ki, the Sumi etc. but why is it that no one mentions the color of blue in koi?
I've seen several beautiful blue koi, but they were always 10" or smaller, do they not keep the blue as they mature?

I really would like some blue in my new pond, but I don't want to add Shubunkins to get it, like I did in this pond
Does anyone have a suggestion?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
]This is Blueberry, my blue doitsu. He or she is 20+". 2nd pic is what the fish looked like the year after I got it.
014.JPG
017.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The color does not show up well on photos. It varies from pale sky blue to navy blue. I just rescued a blue Gin-rin this summer and so far its holding its color.
Mrsclem. Your blue doitsu is gorgeous. Thank you for posting a before picture so someone can see how it changed. I'm new to learning about Koi and there are endless things to know. I have a question. Since doitsu means it has no scales and Gin Rin means the scales are metallic shouldn't there be another name to these Koi besides blue? Or if people own mixtures you just leave off the combinations of what they can are. If my Kois have babies they will definitely be mixtures of different breeds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Photo 1: A, C, and F are Showa. B, D, and E are Sanke.
Photo 2: A, B, C, D, and E are Showa. None are Sanke.
Photo 3: A, C, and D are Showa. B and E are Sanke.
So Audio who won and how do you get Koi like that from Japan for $200-$400 dollars? Did you get any that way?
Even if I didn't win it was fun. Do you want to give another test for another type of Koi? Maybe pick the most desirable Kohaku?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
One cannot read about koi without reading about the Hi, the Ki, the Sumi etc. but why is it that no one mentions the color of blue in koi?
I've seen several beautiful blue koi, but they were always 10" or smaller, do they not keep the blue as they mature?

I really would like some blue in my new pond, but I don't want to add Shubunkins to get it, like I did in this pond
Does anyone have a suggestion?
Gemma, I have a Doitsu Blue Kujaku with strong blue patches on it's sides. I don't know what it will look like when it's mature but right now it's pretty interesting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
So Audio who won and how do you get Koi like that from Japan for $200-$400 dollars? Did you get any that way?
Even if I didn't win it was fun. Do you want to give another test for another type of Koi? Maybe pick the most desirable Kohaku?

I think you got quite a few of them right! I pulled those all from www.champkoi.com.

I am NOT good at knowing which fish has the most potential. So far that ability has totally escaped my grasp and comprehension but I'm interested in learning.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The color does not show up well on photos. It varies from pale sky blue to navy blue. I just rescued a blue Gin-rin this summer and so far its holding its color.
I'd like to see it! I also would like to show you one of mine that looks a lot like your recent pic of Blueberry, mine also looks bluish some days more than others

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Gemma, I have a Doitsu Blue Kujaku with strong blue patches on it's sides. I don't know what it will look like when it's mature but right now it's pretty interesting.
I love your DB and I'm very curious to see what it will do as it grows!
I had a Doitsu Blue Gin (white) Matsuba, but it died and I'm not sure if I want another one because the only reason I got it was the blue, and I don't know if it will stay there with age

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I am NOT good at knowing which fish has the most potential. So far that ability has totally escaped my grasp and comprehension but I'm interested in learning.
Thanks for doing all the lengthy researches, then coming here and teaching us! I was hoping we'd get a member that knows about the different kinds of koi :)

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Mrsclem. Your blue doitsu is gorgeous. Thank you for posting a before picture so someone can see how it changed. I'm new to learning about Koi and there are endless things to know. I have a question. Since doitsu means it has no scales and Gin Rin means the scales are metallic shouldn't there be another name to these Koi besides blue? Or if people own mixtures you just leave off the combinations of what they can are. If my Kois have babies they will definitely be mixtures of different breeds.
Thanks CometKeith- I have a koi ID chart and there isn't a type listed for the blue. I have one fish that looks like a shubunkin but is koi. I'm not sure where she came from but she has the prettiest babies!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
. Since doitsu means it has no scales and Gin Rin means the scales are metallic .
Doitsu koi still have scales but not allover their body, just along the spine and in some a bit overhang on the shulders like my Squalo
I have metallic koi that are not Gin Rin, I was told Gin Rin means Diamond cut(sparkly)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
So Audio. When is the next quiz? Gemma, Thanks for the clarification. I knew Doitsu had scales on their back, but didn't know about the diamond cut for GinRin. Hmm... Audio. Did you buy any Koi in the last week or so?

Ask a Question