My Koi Addiction....

Discussion in 'Garden Pond Talk' started by CometKeith, Oct 21, 2017.

1. CometKeith

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

Very nice!

addy1, Jan 2, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. CometKeith

audioenvy

Thanks!

audioenvy, Jan 2, 2018
    1. Advertisements

3. CometKeith

cas

@audioenvy , my pond has been covered with ice and snow for the past two weeks so it was nice to see pics of some fish today.

cas, Jan 2, 2018
    Tula likes this.
  4. CometKeith

audioenvy

Yeah it must be awful out there lately. I've been seeing all these photos on Facebook of midwestern ponds covered in 4" of thick nasty ice. A lot of people were understandably unprepared for how friggin cold it has been in the last several days and even the deicers are freezing over.

My outside temps are in the 30s but at least the sun is out and the solar cover keeps the water above 50 degrees. It could be WAY WAY worse.

audioenvy, Jan 2, 2018
  5. CometKeith

audioenvy

Another month has passed. Whose pond is still frozen over? I lifted the cover back again this morning--can't wait to take it off for good.

audioenvy, Jan 30, 2018
    bettasngoldfish, Gemma, j.w and 3 others like this.
  6. CometKeith

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

Currently melted watch the fish swimming around yesterday.

addy1, Jan 30, 2018
    Tula likes this.
  7. CometKeith

Tula

@audioenvy , Your water clarity is amazing with your new ZacoDraco plug n' play filtration and you're rocking the Koi Keeper classes :)

Tula, Jan 30, 2018
  8. CometKeith

JamieB

Mine is thawed, I get to see my goldfish when they swim close to the top.

JamieB, Jan 30, 2018
  9. CometKeith

j.w I Love my Goldies

No freeze here, too warm w/our pineapple express weather from Hawaii happening now. Your fish look big and beautiful @Dave 54

j.w, Jan 30, 2018
  10. CometKeith

brokensword Not all those who wander are lost

I think you mean audio's fish, hey jw? And they do look real nice. Been considering getting a shiro utsuri (white with black patching) but seems the exact pattern I like is really really expensive. If I could find a small one, in the 5" range and local, might get one just to say I did.

brokensword, Jan 30, 2018
  11. CometKeith

j.w I Love my Goldies

Yes I did Mr Sword,lol! Thanks for the correction :)

j.w, Jan 31, 2018
  12. CometKeith

audioenvy

Thanks!

audioenvy, Jan 31, 2018
    Tula likes this.
  13. CometKeith

CometKeith

Well it must be Spring! I'm starting to look at buying Koi again.... either Sankes or Showas. I found some nice ones on the internet in various sizes from 5-6 inch, 6-7, 7-8, or 9-10. I leaning towards 6-7 inch or 7-8 inch. You can get an idea of what their true colors might be as they move to adulthood, but are still relatively inexpensive. I did find some 13-14 inch that were really nicely priced too and really beautiful so I'll have to decide if I want to get 2 or 3 smaller ones or one larger one. I think it might be fun to get a few of the smaller ones to have more variety but still deciding.....Obviously my addiction didn't go away over the winter!

CometKeith, Mar 25, 2018
    Tula and Gemma like this.
  14. CometKeith

Gemma

@CometKeith thanks for bumping my favorite thread!
    Spring is here and we are back in business! Yeah! smrubhand.gif

I only have 1 Sanke, 2yr old female, but I'll soon re home her cause I have too many males and during spawn season the stress makes her miserable, not to mention the loss of color. She found some relief hiding in the skimmer box, but this year she would be too large to hide in there so the best thing for her is to go

Gemma, Mar 25, 2018
    CometKeith likes this.
  15. CometKeith

JamieB

Why not rehome some of the males? Are you trying for a single gender pond? I’ve been watching my fish to try and guess which ones are female, no sign of breeding activity yet.

JamieB, Mar 25, 2018
    CometKeith likes this.
  16. CometKeith

Tula

If I was going to buy a koi, I'd buy it from Russell Peters at PSKoi.com. He recently moved to northern IN from CA and set up his business. He just took shipment of a lot of koi from his buying trip to Japan :)

I believe @audioenvy has purchased from him.

Tula, Mar 25, 2018
  17. CometKeith

Gemma

I like males, so I don't have to worry about unwanted babies.
    I usually re home the females as soon as I'm certain they're females ...but I have another 2yr old koi that has not been chased by the males, yet judging by the growth I would bet money is female too, but that one is a metallic (Kin Kikokuryu) koi and I don't think I'll be able to part with...so I guess my days of having only males will soon be no more snhavenoidea.gif

Gemma, Mar 25, 2018
    Tula and JamieB like this.
  18. CometKeith

JamieB

Ok. maybe you need a female only pond... since my filter plan failed, I’ll try not to add any more fish, I was trying for a bigger stronger home made filter so I could add a koi.

JamieB, Mar 26, 2018
  19. CometKeith

CometKeith

Tula. I looked at their website. They have really beautiful fish! I don't have the money to spend that Audio is spending so I am looking at buying smaller Koi in the range of $100-$200. This is dealer that I keep going back to check out because they have so many in the price range I'm looking at. http://www.champkoi.com/koi/bowl/set/SET-D but they have so many to choose from it will be really difficult to make a final decision. Ideally I would find a Doitsu Sanke and Gin Rin Showa but who knows. Also at one time I was mostly interested in butterflies but it seems like the colors I'm looking for don't always come in butterfly.
    Gemma, Re females and males... at one time I had mostly male goldfish and the females got pretty beat up during spawning season. A few even died. As I added more fish by either purchasing them or by them being born in the pond eventually the male-female ratio evened out.

CometKeith, Mar 27, 2018
    Gemma likes this.
  20. CometKeith

Tula

@CometKeith , I understand a budget ; however I know Russ has had fish in your price range...not always, but occasionally....and they're not always posted. If you are active on Face Book, you should join KKONA ( Koi Keepers of North America ), lots of good information and pictures. Recently there was video posted of Russ's new shipment of tosai. He also has his own website.......wouldn't hurt to ask him if he could keep an eye out for what you're looking for and your budget.

Kevin Pham is another dealer who will look for a specific fish for buyers :)

The site you posted has some beautiful koi, I'm jealous :) ha ha!

Tula, Mar 27, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question