My New Pond Construction

Reaction score
After a bit of perseverance and calming down a bit, I have managed to get the Blagden pump that died working again! The Blagden pump is different to the others in that it doesn't have traditional impeller but a large circular one instead. Cleaned the plates up & it is now powering the smaller filter, the wet & dry replaced, better than it did before!

At least the fish will be happier now!

Last edited:
Reaction score
As it stands now. More work to do at weekend.

IMAG0124.jpg

Reaction score
It looks a compete mess at the moment, but thank you anyways :D I am just happy that I managed to get the filtration working again even though it has put me back with my plans by another day now.

Reaction score
Five barrows of clay taken around far side (where the trees are) and I am absolutely shattered!!!!! Not as warm today so easier to work in but I am going to kill myself doing this at this rate! Got another 5 x 3'x2' concrete slabs to lay on lean to side to level it off ready for the capping slabs, but at the moment, those slabs are supporting the soil from the excavation of the pond around the front on the driveway, so got to move the soil first (had to work out things on the fly as my planning is not brilliant as I am not a builder (give me electronics or electrics and I am like a wizard!). I am happy with the progress I have made in the last week or so as it has tidied up the back garden a lot, but the pond still looks a mess (and will do so until I can hide the top edge of the liner fully!).

The fish seem much happier with the additional colour in the water from the algae bloom compared to the crystal clear water in the old pond. Last night they were feeding like crazy compared to slowly approaching the food and taking it off the surface. Amazing how things change in just 24 hours!

Reaction score
Little bit more work done today in the glorious sunshine. Decided after inspecting the brickwork on the old pond, that it is going to be removed completely & that end of the garden is going to be gravelled & landscaped. To replace the brickwork would mean buying new bricks as the frost and water has caused 80% of the bricks to crack, split or break completely. This means that my budget for the new pond gas increased slightly now.

Worked out to get optimum filtration in the new pond, I am going to have to run 30 metres of pipework. Old pipework is not going to go to waste as that can be used as conduit for the electric cabling.

Still trying to come up with a simple, but effective use for the old preformed pond. Thinking of simply planting it and installing at an angle to act like a waterfall into the new pond. Other option is a natural filter but might be a bit large for that and require a lot of turnover of water to make it work properly.

Reaction score
Bit of a result this morning. My neighbour had a load of boulders behind her summerhouse, so asked if she wanted them. She told me to take them if I wanted them! That's another £50 saved.

Principle job this week is to remove old pond & brick work. New pond is clearing nicely thanks to new uv tube & 4 pumps running. Just changed the white filter matting.

Coming together now at long last!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
always pays to ask ,the you never know what you might get for free .I ask mother nature if I can borrow stones from her creeks and streams and so far she has never said no :)

Reaction score
I took a look at the stream last night outside the front of the house, but no rocks present. The council have left some gravel boards though against the verge so if they are still there in a weeks time, they may end up in the garden, but I never said that lol

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Still trying to come up with a simple, but effective use for the old preformed pond. Thinking of simply planting it and installing at an angle to act like a waterfall into the new pond. Other option is a natural filter but might be a bit large for that and require a lot of turnover of water to make it work properly.
Fill it with plants and pea gravel or something like that and just let a slow flow of water through it, makes a great filter.

Reaction score
Fill it with plants and pea gravel or something like that and just let a slow flow of water through it, makes a great filter.

I did think that but the preformed is 30" deep and approx 6' x 3' in a kidney-type shape. Was thinking along those lines until I emptied it and saw how big it actually was (with the plants & everything around it, it did look a lot smaller than it actually is). I could turn it into another smaller Goldfish pond or a pond to house any smaller fish I get before they go in to the large pond, but that would mean even more work for me to do LOL

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My bog/gravel/plant filter is 26 feet by 4.5 feet by 2.5 feet deep. The first summer it was fed water by a pump that only pushed around 200 gph, old slow pump. The plants started growing great.
Mine is now fed by my pond pump. It is my only filter, the pump is rated at 6500 gph, without discounting head pressure.

Ask a Question