My New Pond Construction

Reaction score
My bog/gravel/plant filter is 26 feet by 4.5 feet by 2.5 feet deep. The first summer it was fed water by a pump that only pushed around 200 gph, old slow pump. The plants started growing great.
Mine is now fed by my pond pump. It is my only filter, the pump is rated at 6500 gph, without discounting head pressure.

That's as big as my actual new pond!!! Got a few days to think about it whilst I knock down the brick work around the pre-formed.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice new pond size! will be fun to watch you build it.

Reaction score
Nightmare this morning. Woke up to find 6" of water in the pond only! A pipe had split during the night & virtually emptied the new pond! No casualties that I have found yet, but refilling it now.

Reaction score
Not much done today apart from sorting the "leak" out. Replacing whole pipe work at the weekend so only temporary fix in place until then (no loss so far touch wood). Cannot really do much more until old pond has been taken down as going to see how many bricks can be salvaged from it. If enough can be salvaged, then going to build a single coarse wall around the outside to stop toddlers who may visit with their parents (friends) getting to it. If not, then gravel boards & 2"x2" posts will do the job with a 12" high "fence" and polythene sheet between it & the mud to stop rot. Was hoping to get it all finished before 10th May but not looking that way at present for one reason or another.

One good thing came of today in that I have just picked up a car boot (trunk) full of rocks from wife's brother-in-law as he is preparing to move house, and have another load or two at his house waiting for me as well :)

Reaction score
Wasn't intending to do anything today as it is a Bank Holiday in the UK as well as usually busy with work on a Friday (regardless of holidays etc!), but have finished all the work I needed to get done for today so going to now go out to the garden & kill myself removing all the sand from around the old pre-formed pond, removing the rest of the brick work & the pre-formed. Shame not to make the most of the sunshine even though it is a bit chilly still.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I ran all of my hoses inside the pond and my filter tanks have liners around them so any leaking will go right back into the pond .I don't want to worry about leaks .

Reaction score
Nothing done this weekend due to an abscess on right upper jaw causing me to look & sound like "The Elephant Man" (who was also a resident of Leicester!!!). Hoping to resume progress before the weekend, but nothing is for certain. Just been sitting next to the pond thinking of what I can do to it to make it look nice....

Reaction score
Abscess is finally going down thanks to antibiotics, but had a flare up from my M.S. Tuesday evening, so only managed a little bit more around the garden today (removed 30 or so bricks from old pond wall). The actual pond has come to a standstill until I finish getting the old pond brickwork down and seeing how many usable bricks I have to build a small (3 or 4 coarse high) wall around 2 sides of the new pond. Once that has been built I can then do the rest of the finishing touches around the edge as the wall is there to stop the excess soil that is going around the pond to build a berm from falling and allowing me to level it all off and place slabs over the lip of the liner.

Ask a Question