My New Pond

Reaction score
Here are some pics of my new pond coming along. It's my first ever and decided to go kind of big. Any recommendations on how to continue to improve it? It's still in construction. To the left of the waterfall will be a "bog" of some sort with plants behind the big rocks.

Attachments

• gameplan.jpg
    gameplan.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 244
  • layer1.jpg
    layer1.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 249
  • layer2.jpg
    layer2.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 311
  • layer2again.jpg
    layer2again.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 266
  • layer3.jpg
    layer3.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 292
  • Rocksliner.jpg
    Rocksliner.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 330
  • Morerocks.jpg
    Morerocks.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 298
  • waterfall.jpg
    waterfall.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 277

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
How deep is it what kind of filter or just the bog and are you getting fish .Gravel on the bottom is hard to clean .How much water .I used a water meter when I filled mine .What gph pump

Reaction score
10in around the top shelf, then drops to about 18in, and in the deepest i believe it's down to 28-30 in...I wanted to go deeper but the ground wasn't having it :(. Right now only have a skimmer/biofalls as filters with a 3600gph pump and we will be getting fish too! I read horror stories about the gravel..but I dont think I'll have a problem power washing it and it looks so nice!...and i can always remove it later if it does become a hassle. Our biggest concern right now is implementing some kind of overflow area due to these storms we are getting this week

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Just remember to use a low pressure nozzle on your power washer if you do that .Yep rocks look good but that does not last .i learned real fast how toxic that stuff is that the rocks hold with my neighbors pond .You can just get a piece of abs pipe (since it is black ) and just lower a piece of your liner and i used those yard grates they sell in home depot and lowes on each end .My pond is above ground so it goes out into a bucket and then goes into the lawn .

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My overflow is right next to my skimmer, all I did was lower the liner in that area to the max height I ever wanted the pond to be. I put some well placed rocks and created a dry stream bed to carry it about 8' away from the pond. I have never lost a fish due to it washing out in this location. I have pics but they are on the other pc, can get them if you need to see a visual.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I did the same as Tmann, have one spot in the pond that is slightly lower, anytime we get horrendous rains I have a river flowing out of the pond. The foot wide shelf with some well placed rocks keeps the fish in the pond

Ask a Question