My Organic Garden Swimming Pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
More than you think, especially if they have open sores or wounds.
Chelseabreeze ever heard of zoonosis before now ?
There are a number of zoonosis or species jumpers that can be found in our ponds everything from TB of a hand or arm , right through t two that can acctually put you in your grave [ so do you still want to go awimming with your fish] ?
Amongst these nasties are as follows :-

1)[Infection because of] Mycobacterium spp, gram positive [Route of Transmition] contact with infected biofilms tissues or contaminated water
[Clinical sign in Humans] , Granulomatous nodules to Ulcerative skin lesions

2)[Infection because of] Streptococcus iniae, gram positive [Route of Transmission] Contact with infected tissues or contaminated water
[Clinical sign in Humans] Cellulites systemic arthritis endocarditis meningitus and rarely Death.

3)[Inefection because of] Areomonas , gram negative [Route of Transmission] Contact with infected tissues
[Clinical sign in humans] localized edema and swelling at site of infection.

4)[Infection because of ] vibrio spp, gram negative [Route of Transmission] Contact with infected tissues
[Clinical sign in Humans] Edema, tissue swelling, and necrotizing fasciitis

5)[Infection because of] Erysipelothrix rhusiopathiae, gram positive [Route of Transmission] contact with infected tissue or contaminated water .
[Clinical sign in Humans] Localized to generalized skin infection endocarditis and death

Just as you thought it safe to go into the water :D

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Chelseabreeze ever heard of zoonosis before now ?
There are a number of zoonosis or species jumpers that can be found in our ponds everything from TB of a hand or arm , right through t two that can acctually put you in your grave [ so do you still want to go awimming with your fish] ?
Amongst these nasties are as follows :-

1)[Infection because of] Mycobacterium spp, gram positive [Route of Transmition] contact with infected biofilms tissues or contaminated water
[Clinical sign in Humans] , Granulomatous nodules to Ulcerative skin lesions

2)[Infection because of] Streptococcus iniae, gram positive [Route of Transmission] Contact with infected tissues or contaminated water
[Clinical sign in Humans] Cellulites systemic arthritis endocarditis meningitus and rarely Death.

3)[Inefection because of] Areomonas , gram negative [Route of Transmission] Contact with infected tissues
[Clinical sign in humans] localized edema and swelling at site of infection.

4)[Infection because of ] vibrio spp, gram negative [Route of Transmission] Contact with infected tissues
[Clinical sign in Humans] Edema, tissue swelling, and necrotizing fasciitis

5)[Infection because of] Erysipelothrix rhusiopathiae, gram positive [Route of Transmission] contact with infected tissue or contaminated water .
[Clinical sign in Humans] Localized to generalized skin infection endocarditis and death

Just as you thought it safe to go into the water :D

Dave
Thanks for the info, Dave. Can't say I've heard of zoonosis, or the list of other conditions you provide. I will check them out. As I said, I will be getting my water tested and will continue to do so periodically.

As for your question which I highlighted above, no I don't want to go swimming with my fish and don't plan to because I don't have any fish, nor will I. I thought I was clear about that in my initial post.

To those of you who are rightfully concerned about water-borne illnesses, because I take it seriously, I just put the issue to one of the preeminent swimming pond designer/builders with installations around the world. His reply...

"Conventional pools also have the same risks. Natural Pools have been established for decades in Germany and Austria, probably amongst the most health oriented nations, and these pool are accept by their authorities as being safe. They also have many public pools. The first public pool in UK is open in Kings Cross London. I've not heard of any poor [test] results, ie not suitable for swimming."

There is a world-wide community of natural/organic swimming pool/pond advocates who take water quality and the potential for illness very seriously, some who are authorities responsible for growing number of public pools with large numbers of swimmers. So far, there are no detractors.

I truly appreciate the detail some of you have provided about this matter, and I will certainly monitor it, but I also sense a belief that ponds should be just for ponds sake, including fish. This is not so, and I do believe it can be done safely and I'm hoping that such messages won't deter anyone reading this thread rom wanting to create their own swimming pond.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Not a problem thats what we are all here to do Chelseabreeze , Meyer had mentioned it I mearly went into the conditions I know which will jump species .
It seems such a shame that you dont want to add fish to your pond at all because a few nice large koi would set the pond off .
I have heard of people in the UK who swim in their ponds with their fish personally being aware of the risks and my legs being as they are , I personally wouldnt .

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Not a problem thats what we are all here to do Chelseabreeze , Meyer had mentioned it I mearly went into the conditions I know which will jump species .
It seems such a shame that you dont want to add fish to your pond at all because a few nice large koi would set the pond off .
I have heard of people in the UK who swim in their ponds with their fish personally being aware of the risks and my legs being as they are , I personally wouldnt .

Dave
Hi Dave. I really do appreciate such info...it is important. My goal in expending all the effort I did was to be able to swim as I had been able to with the old 'chemical' pool. My chosen course for a natural approach is the best way to do it...especially with the effective aeration method to circulate water I've employed. Although I like the idea of fish and considered it, my wife was dead against it. Without knowing the possible illnesses, I had also considered the problems fish could cause in that regard, so I did my best to go about construction in a way to optimize water quality for swimming, foregoing having fish. Testing will tell. I will post the results. Cheers!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
I just received the lab test result for my swimming pond water. I explained to them what my water environment is and they advised that all I need to be tested for a swimming environment is e-coli. The result is <2 CFU/100 ml which is deemed excellent for swimming. Going forward, I plan to have tested three times a year...spring, mid-summer, fall.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I just received the lab test result for my swimming pond water. I explained to them what my water environment is and they advised that all I need to be tested for a swimming environment is e-coli. The result is <2 CFU/100 ml which is deemed excellent for swimming. Going forward, I plan to have tested three times a year...spring, mid-summer, fall.
You should also be testing for Giardia and Cryptosporidium. These are the tw most troublesome freshwater aquatic parasites.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Do you know if these parasites are potentially problematic for humans, or just aquatic life?
These two parasites are indeed a potential health hazard for humans. Both are intestinal parasites that cause diarrhea, intestinal pain, dehydration etc. They are particularly dangerous to the young, the aged or anyone with a compromised immune system. Though rare, they can even cause death of the infected individual. There are other fresh water parasites, but these two are the current major pathogens. According to the CDC, reported outbreaks of Giardia have greatly increased in recent years indicating that this is a growing concern in venues of human immersion. Incidentally, both of these organisms are intra-specie pathogens, meaning that they can be conveyed from the feces of birds, raccoons, deer etc. to humans.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
These two parasites are indeed a potential health hazard for humans. Both are intestinal parasites that cause diarrhea, intestinal pain, dehydration etc. They are particularly dangerous to the young, the aged or anyone with a compromised immune system. Though rare, they can even cause death of the infected individual. There are other fresh water parasites, but these two are the current major pathogens. According to the CDC, reported outbreaks of Giardia have greatly increased in recent years indicating that this is a growing concern in venues of human immersion. Incidentally, both of these organisms are intra-specie pathogens, meaning that they can be conveyed from the feces of birds, raccoons, deer etc. to humans.
Thank you, Meyer. At least having such a low e-coli test result is certainly a very good sign that I'm quite pleased with. I'll look into tests for the others.

Ask a Question