My outdoor fish have ich

Reaction score
Country
United States
I recently bought a house that have 6 outdoor ponds. I bought about 10 koi, gold, moor fish. Two of my fish died I think it's from ich. They have white on them. One seems realky sick. I went to the pet store yesterday and bought Api.ich cure it's a tablet. I put one I yesterday and one today and I haven't seen anymore dead fish yet. Does anyone know how to easily get rid of ich? I'm not an experienced fish owner so this is all new. Please help. Thank you.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
If the pond is infected you're gonna need to treat the pond as well.... Here is what I would do...

Calculate the water amount of the infected pond...

Add KMnO4...

The calculator for how much KMnO4 is on koiphen.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I recently bought a house that have 6 outdoor ponds. I bought about 10 koi, gold, moor fish. Two of my fish died I think it's from ich. They have white on them. One seems realky sick. I went to the pet store yesterday and bought Api.ich cure it's a tablet. I put one I yesterday and one today and I haven't seen anymore dead fish yet. Does anyone know how to easily get rid of ich? I'm not an experienced fish owner so this is all new. Please help. Thank you.

I would recommend Formalin. While also effective, KMnO4.(potassium Permanganate) requires absolutely exact dosage. The exact capacity of the pond needs to be known. Formalin also requires accurate dosing but is a little more forgiving than PP when it comes to negatively affecting the rest of the pond's ecosystem.
Whatever you decide to use, do it soon. Fish do not survive very long if Ich remains untreated.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
If there are only a few fish in the pond couldn't the fish be moved to a quarantine tub for treatment. Then let the pond sit fallow (fishless) until the ich parasite goes through its life cycle and it dies off. Obviously, most ponds that is next to impossible to get all the fish out, but sounded like there aren't too many fish other than what was just added.

I personally don't like adding chemicals of any sort to the pond. Although, I realize in some cases when a whole fish population is at risk that may be the only option.

I have kept reef tanks for years along with ponds. In reef tanks there are no safe ich treatments that will not destroy the micro/macro invert life in the tanks. Only option is to remove the afflicted fish and treat elsewhere.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
If there are only a few fish in the pond couldn't the fish be moved to a quarantine tub for treatment. Then let the pond sit fallow (fishless) until the ich parasite goes through its life cycle and it dies off. Obviously, most ponds that is next to impossible to get all the fish out, but sounded like there aren't too many fish other than what was just added.

I personally don't like adding chemicals of any sort to the pond. Although, I realize in some cases when a whole fish population is at risk that may be the only option.

I have kept reef tanks for years along with ponds. In reef tanks there are no safe ich treatments that will not destroy the micro/macro invert life in the tanks. Only option is to remove the afflicted fish and treat elsewhere.
If one has the time and proper equipment to treat an entire fish population out-of-pond, this would be the way to proceed. Since Freshwater Ich (different parasite than Marine Ich) may take from one (1) to seven (7) weeks to complete an entire life cycle. transferring all of the fish to a separate holding facility is usually not practical.for most pondkeepers.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
True to get a whole fish population out of mist ponds, then into a large container/s then make sure it has/have a large enough bacteria population to prevent cycling is unpractical.

I know I couldn't get all the fish out of my pond to do it. I have too much other life in my pond where fish aren't the top of the food chain in there. So if any do get sick and slow down they most likely get picked off before I notice.

Much easier to do in fish tanks. Other issue most don't have patience to leave fish tank/pond fallow for 2-3 months to let ich life cycle to run its course.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
potassium per magnet is easiest and most effective , what u need to do is gradually add Pp , its strong! only add less then quarter spoon at once until all the water is mixed and light pink enuf that ur able to see just 1 feet deep , maintain pink colour for atleast 6 hours and max 10 , after that replace 20%water , make sure to have good aeration and remove ur plants .
see how fish react then if needed do another mild dose after few days

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
potassium per magnet is easiest and most effective , what u need to do is gradually add Pp , its strong! only add less then quarter spoon at once until all the water is mixed and light pink enuf that ur able to see just 1 feet deep , maintain pink colour for atleast 6 hours and max 10 , after that replace 20%water , make sure to have good aeration and remove ur plants .
see how fish react then if needed do another mild dose after few days

Sorry. but that is very dangerous advice on how to determine dosing for any chemical water treatment, especially for an oxidizer as strong as Potassium Permanganate. Dosing determinations and methods should never rely on visual observations.

Reaction score
Country
United States
We really need more info to be helpful in this situation. And possibly pictures if able.

Sounds like the o.p. isn't sure if she has koi or goldfish. And is guessing the fish have ich.

And just my two cents but potassium permanganate is not something a novice fish keeper should be using.

Ask a Question