My pond runs all winter, zone 2/3

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
My big white goldfish got to about 4 inches long or so, but she was fat and big as far as comet style goldfish get.

We had our first wet snowfall last night, and most of it is gone but it is going to freeze really hard tonight, going down to minus 7 Celsius, (20 degrees Fahrenheit) so I have to go outside right now and dig out that beautiful yellow flowering tree before it dies!!

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
HEy Colleen, was wondering about the yellow iris. I'm draining the pond for the winter, will they survive out of water?
Thks
Wayne

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Hey Wayne!! My sister had a clump when she took her pond apart last year and she just left it on the ground and it died. Although last year was a very hard year. I think to be safe, just place the clump in a bag and dig the bag into the soil for more winter protection and then it should survive. If you leave it in frozen bucket of water, it has survived for me that way in the past, years ago. I used to save some extra pieces of yellow flag, and left them in a bucket with water that froze and they would come back like that too cause the ice offers winter protection as well.

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Thanks, I was thinking to leave about a foot of water in the very bottom and have the plants there, it should work.

THks
Wayne

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Still looks like Summer there actually w/all your plants still green and growing. Poor Rio ran away from the big bad bear and his gruff voice.

Ask a Question