My pond runs all winter, zone 2/3

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
It's amazing to see these fish thriving and plants growing ! How deep is this pond? Are both the stream and pond preformed, or is the stream a liner?

Such a wonderful outlet for the cold winter months !
pond is 30 year old 80 gallon preformed pond, used to be in back yard long time ago. Still works good and stream made from leftover pond liner. I want to make stream longer in spring. Can't wait for Spring!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Took the plastic off the ponds as warm weather is coming next week, temps supposed to be like 50 to 60 degrees {plus 10 Celsius} Then suddenly it got cold again for two days, minis 15. pond froze pretty good without the plastic so you can see how much it froze with the covering. But now it getting warm this afternoon and much of it has since melted. with do update video in couple hrs. so you can compare how fast running water will deice your pond.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Well I have the most comments on this video about wintering koi. Many of my followers now winter their ponds all winter as I do and never get sick fish. Koi are cold-water fish and the ice cold running water prevents parasites' that make Koi and goldfish sick.
In the UK where they have an already mild winter compared to most others, they heat their koi ponds to summer time temperatures, they like tropical countries all have to fight koi parasites that make cold water fish like Koi or goldfish sick.
I have been watching lots of koi keeper in the UK and they all seem to have sick koi every spring as the parasites go wild in the warm water all year. I have never had a sick or dead koi in all my 30 years of keeping koi in ice cold running water each winter in Canada.
Comment below if you winter you koi or goldfish in cold water and if you ever get sick koi or goldfish. If your water is ice cold and running all winter you should not have any problems.
I know believe its better to keep pond water running all winter than to actually heat. I am changing the way people thought about ice cold running water for healthy koi all year!

Ask a Question