My pond/Stream/Garden so far

Reaction score
hello everybody

Firstly,I'm 16 and English isn't my home language.Excuse my spelling :biggrin:

Have posted my pond ect... before and here is another update on it!
As you can see if have a small waterfall 2 ponds and a small stream that connects the two.In my upper pond I have 3 gold fish and 3 choi.The plants that's specify in the pond is:water lilies;bulrush;Spiral Tape Grass;Burgundy Stemmed Taro; Amazon Sword and some sort of small grass and 2 Reeds.
In my other pond I have 4 white spotted Shubunkin Goldfish(Their still i bit shy,so they have really came out of their hiding spot!
As for the plants in the pond I have The Umbrella Palm;Darf Bulrush and
River Stars(Gomphostigma Virgatum)I also have Floating Water Moss in bough ponds.

Not sure how to get the youtube video on the page lol
[ame]

Questions
What I would like the ask is my bulrush,Umbrella Palm and my River Stars in the right spot.They get early morning sun,then the sun disappears again behind the trees and then it comes back again between 1-2pm.
I'm buying a pump in a few weeks and was wondering what you guy's thought about this pump:http://www.superpumps.co.za/shop/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=16
The pump will be in my lower pond and will pump the water up the where my waterfall is located.The water will the fall in my upper pond and flow into my lower pond until it gets circulated again.

Any comments ect..... is welcome!

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
well its a really lovely pond :biggrin: at 16 i think you can be really proud of yourself ...plants were lovely and it will be even bettter when you get your pump working ...im sure others can help you out with pump ....and admit i watched your video twice just so i could see that racing tortoise again !!!! :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Nice garden and pond. I too love the tortoise. I was going to ask if he was a pet or a local resident that moved in? As for the pump, I'm not sure of the volume of your pond, but you should get a pump that pumps at least half the volume of your pond every hour. If you are planning on having fish eventually you will want to have a filter set up. There are some directions for home made filters here on the forum. Once you get the water flowing your pond will be an even better place. The sound of flowing water is very relaxing and also attracts wildlife. I'm not familiar with the "river stars" (pretty name), but the Umbrella palm and bulrush are full sun plants, so as long as they are getting at least 6 hours of light a day they will do fine. Okay, I googled the river stars. (Neat plant, wish it was hardy in my zone) it is a full sun to partial shade plant so if it is getting over 4 hours of sun a day it'll do fine. Post another video once you have your water running, I'm anxious to see it!

Reaction score
No,not an attacking turtle.He always becomes this way this time of year,when it's summer over here.He goes after your toes and want to bite them.

Thanks for your complement Stroppy.Have worked weekends and after school to get my garden where it's now :biggrin:

poodles,ponds and gardens:I know it's not right to do,but my dad loves tortoises,and he picked this one op next to the road.Has been living with us for quite(about 5 years)Will look into the pump and filter story.Thanks for the advice!
Man,the River Stars is in the right place,but not 100% sure about the Umbrella Palm.
And do you think that if the Bulrush doesn't get enough sun,that it will completely die off?

Reaction score
Some pictures I forgot to post

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 398
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 389
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 352

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Your pond is very nice.
Just a suggestion on your video, slow down with your video, take your time and pan slowley. If you have voice capability, narrate what you are shooting. I think you will find the video to be more informative and easier to watch.

Reaction score
[QUOTE not 100% sure about the Umbrella Palm.
And do you think that if the Bulrush doesn't get enough sun,that it will completely die off?[/QUOTE]

The plants won't die back completely unless they are left in total shade a long time. You can leave them where they are for now. If you see them starting to turn yellow or die back you can move them then. Sun requirements listed for plants are general and some plants will do better in different conditions than others, so give it a try and move if needed. Part of the fun of gardening is learning what works in your garden.

Ask a Question