My Pond

Reaction score
Hi

This is the current status of my pond. It needs more plants and growth but its very early days . I like the look of it and how it flows down from our bbq area but after seeing all the fantastic ponds people have done here , I am so tempted to redo a lot of mine . Some things I want to do

- increase depth in areas
- build waterfall
- make pond more natural looking (remove paving and use rocks)
- use more large stones in the pond (submerged)

I am not sure how to embed this in the page so here is a link for now , maybe someone can tell me how to do it .

Garden Pond

Reaction score
I certainly lean towards the more natural ponds, the ones that look like they belong in front of a French King's Castle are awesome, but that's not the effect I want in my backyard. That being said, your pond looks great, and it really fits in well in that area. I don't know what I would change anything, except more pumping and filtering to clear that water up. It's really really great just the way it is.

Reaction score
Heya

Thanks for your feedback , its really appreciated. The water isn't too bad , I think it looks worse than it is because of the lighting , it was taken around 7pm and was quite cloudy out. However it does need improving. I am considering building a waterfall feature at the far end, where the smaller pebbles pour into the water but am still thinking of the best way to approach it . I have plenty of rock available from a recent wall build (blue/ gray rock) I was going to maybe build up a stone feature around that area and pump my water to there and let it flow back into the pond but because I have not gone for the 'natural' look I am worried it will look odd ......hope that makes sense.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You can add a feature, it will look fine. Take some of the rock you are using for the water feature, add some of that rock to your landscaping around the pond, that will blend it in.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Those sedges in your pond will eventually take off and they should help green up the pond too. Its looks like it's coming along quite nice, just needs some time for the plants in the pond to get really big. Deck and path looks nice and the view from there must be very relaxing! :)

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback folks .

You can add a feature, it will look fine. Take some of the rock you are using for the water feature, add some of that rock to your landscaping around the pond, that will blend it in.

Yeah I suppose I was just concerned because of the clean , flat lines of the pond edging it would look odd but I will give it a go .

Those sedges in your pond will eventually take off and they should help green up the pond too. Its looks like it's coming along quite nice, just needs some time for the plants in the pond to get really big. Deck and path looks nice and the view from there must be very relaxing! :)

Thanks ! Yeah the plants are only starting to establish. I should have panned the camera up , we have amazing views to the right of the deck , I will try and get some of that and put it up here.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks for the feedback folks .

Yeah I suppose I was just concerned because of the clean , flat lines of the pond edging it would look odd but I will give it a go .

Break up the clean lines near your water feature with some of the waterfall rocks, slowly blend and work back to the clean lines, a transition zone.

It might take some tweaking until you like the look.

Reaction score
I can't think of any examples, but a cross between two styles of ponds could be awesome. You have this man-made fountain type pond, then at the end mother nature has crept in and starting to take it back. That could be cool.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Your pond looks very nice and serene. I agree with the waterfall idea if you want to change it and add some visual excitement. My pond is somewhat similar in that I used a limestone border, but I have a waterfall at one end. You can see in the picture how the waterfall looks in my pond. I am starting to add plants in the waterfall rocks and it seems that "creeping jenny" works good there. Good luck with your pond!

Attachments

• 073.jpg
    073.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 303
Reaction score
Thanks Keith , that is a pretty pond you have, I love the plants and how the waterfall looks . Can I ask what you used for your waterfall i.e did you build a filter into it or is the filter buried elsewhere?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks addy , don't suppose you have seen anything like this done already so I can get some ideas ?

These are preforms that I added to our pond mix, not a formal type edging like yours, but using rocks, wood, vegetation to blend the preforms with the big pond and landscaping.

wood added

DSC03660.jpg

just installed

DSC03545.jpg

some rocks added

DSC03587.jpg

rocks wood plants added The rocks go out from the ponds in irregular bunches to break up the edging. It makes the eye flow with the edge, in and out. So to blend yours it would be adding the water fall rocks to your edging rocks out away from the edge, mixed with some of the edge. Adjust until you are happy with the look, I have changed these rocks many times and probably still not done. To the left you can see the rocks going up the slope, makes it look like the preform is out of a rock edged slope.

DSC03766.jpg

Ask a Question