My rocks have turned black... but indestructible.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't think the stain is just black algae. It stood up to enough algacide that the water covering the rocks looks like drinking water. It stood up to full strength power washing. It stood up to bleach.

So now I have a test rock that has sat in 3 gallons of water and one cup of HCl for almost 24 hours and zero apparent results. I added another cup of HCl a few minutes ago. If that has any positive effect, I will clean 2-3 rocks a day until the effect is pleasing. I don't mind the occasional dark rock; I just don't want the entire bottom lined with them.

BTW, the rocks will be soaked in progressive rinses before they return to the ponds.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
The muriatic concentration should be one part muriatic acid to 3 parts water. NO BLEACH !!!
The one cup you added to all that water would have no effect as you saw ... and then, there's always the rock replacement :) ...

Reaction score
Bleach + ammonia will kill you. I don't know what bleach + acid would do.

Muriatic acid is another name for Hydrochloric acid,
Ammonia is a base
Bleach is a base,
you usually can't mix a base and an acid without getting a nice poisonous gas left off.

Not sure you will get rocks clean short of sandblasting them or letting them sit in a very concentrated solution of the acid. You can use it to clean concrete and whiten that up, but concrete is porous unlike most river rock or the like.
I have rocks that were in my pond that were covered in algae, they all have a dark green look now, but I like it.

Ask a Question