My Skippy Filter

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
biggoldie...yeah those are my floating planter rings. and yeah they really save the floaters like hyacinths and lettuce. and i have a 70 gal stocktank filter as my waterfall basin/filter and i fill the top with hyacinths. they do so well that the tubers run out past the filters edge and i'll get some growing out of water with basically no roots. i may make one about 6' in diameter this year instead of several smaller ones the ones i have now are actually 28" in diameter. the big one would supply a good amount of shade and a nice size hiding spot...i would tie it off in the center of the pond.

Reaction score
vertigo72 said:
Definitely worth trying, but I tried, and failed. For some reason water hyacinths dont like my pond. I bought 4 or so to give it a try, and they go all slimy, the leaves look as if they are burnt by the sun, and they fade away. Even the ones my Koi had no access to (I put 2 in my biofilter).

Not sure what it is they like that my pond doesnt provide. I have a ph of 7.5, GH and KH are both around 8. (nitrates, nitrite and ammonia all unmeasurable). I think its temperature? My pond was still pretty cold when I introduced them (8-10C), but neither the ones I put in direct sunshine, nor the ones that are protected by shade do well. My iris' grow like crazy though, as do most of my other plants.

Shame, as they are pretty plants, and apparently excellent "filters" too :)

Gosh, I can relate, because for some reason mine don't grow like gangbusters, either. What I recently did was go and fish a species of invasive non-native plant from my local river, because there is no doubt it does really well here. I am counting on this stuff to address my problem. I googled to see if Colorado has this plant in it's water ways so you might do the same, but no- a good thing, actually! But I bet there is some kind of floater out there that would thrive in your climate and wouldn't cost an arm and a leg...
Green water aside, your pond is really, really nice. I wish I had room for one like that. I have faith that with a little time and more plants your water will clear.

Reaction score
biggoldie said:
But I bet there is some kind of floater out there that would thrive in your climate and wouldn't cost an arm and a leg...

My girlfriend took home some others last week, I have no idea what they are. I suspect this: Mosaic Plants (Ludwigia sedioides). They seem to do pretty well so far, and my Koi leave them alone (unlike my lilies, which are eaten as fast as they grow new pads), so here is to hoping.

Reaction score
vertigo72 said:
My girlfriend took home some others last week, I have no idea what they are. I suspect this: Mosaic Plants (Ludwigia sedioides). They seem to do pretty well so far, and my Koi leave them alone (unlike my lilies, which are eaten as fast as they grow new pads), so here is to hoping.

I love that plant- really cool growth habit, and it's a close relative of ludwigia peploides, which is the stuff I am growing. The species you have is also a notoriously invasive plant with a reputation for running amuck, so hey! May be just the ticket...

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
very nice plant, love the looks of it

mew5280

Mary, Denver, CO
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5, Denver CO, -10 to -15
Country
United States
Week 2 of Operation Pond Scum

I removed all my plants yesterday, trimmed them, found one that was dead and pitched it, replanted a few and set up the UV. You can see the frog's eyes in the plant closest to where I was standing to take the photo.
ry%3D400

UV closeup. It's plugged in and it feels hot, is that the only way I know it's on? And yes it's upside down, silly me. I didn't feel like re-doing it though.
ry%3D400

The bullfrog is back
ry%3D400

And for the first time, this one took a dive into the pond just after I had finished with the plants, AGH. I've had an ugly wood lattice fence around the pond since she's been with us so she never had the chance to try this but it was hot yesterday and I'm sure she just thought "Why not?" And then afterward "Why is everyone yelling?" Fortunately, no harm to the pond that I could see. She jumped in the area where there are no plants.
ry%3D400

I was skimming the top of the pond yesterday and found some little fry I didn't know I had, less than an inch long I think. Just two that came up in the skimmer net. It seems like the pond is less soupy now, could be the filter (I did flush it out yesterday and the bottom was pretty gunky).

Another question. In the past, I have added water with a hose at the same time I added the de-chlorinator. Since I set up the skippy, I've been careful to add the water from a bucket or container so it's pre-treated before it goes in the pond, is that the best way to go?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
with the tote filter if you are going to keep it you are better putting a tote in a tote they do not make them as strong as they used to and looking at the way that one is bulging it may split from the pressure .I buy heavy duty rubbermaid ones and I but 2 of them also and put a tote in a tote .All you do is cut the handles off one so it fits tighter inside the other ,Since you already have your adapter in you could easly just cut the second tote around the adapter and put that one inside new tote .I did it with one tote and lucky I was home the whole side split out of it .

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
my U.V has never felt hot ... problem?....its got water running thru it it should be cool to the touch....may i ask ..do you know how much use the bulb in that U.V has on it? if its 8 months or more replace it...or if its been turned on and off frequently. if the bulb should be deemed needing replacement , be sure not to touch the new bulb with your fingers....LSEinc. has great prices on replacement bulbs...as i posted earlier...(2) 9 watters for $12.00 they are on eBay.

mew5280

Mary, Denver, CO
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5, Denver CO, -10 to -15
Country
United States
koiguy: I bought the UV yesterday, brand new, so I assume it's never been used. I'll go check it this morning, the sun was on it yesterday, could have been why it felt hot.

sissy: she had a pool of her own, never used it. not stinky enough? I do think she will stay out of it if I'm not in the yard with her, she's inside where it's cool. I'm also hoping it freaked her out as it was up to her shoulders and she had trouble getting out. But I might have to put something up again when it really gets hot.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
maybe she's jealous that your spending time on the pond and not her lol

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
. why not put your Tetrapond filter to use as well? i posted a conversion thread on how i converted my tetra filter. or you can plumb it under water where your pump pulls the water thru it... ( this is a prefilter) pump intake connected to the filter outlet (bottom port) via a length of hose...stuff it full of fiber fill and leave the lid off... it will catch alot of floating debris and send cleaner water to your bio filter...making it more effective......

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2489&d=1272380581

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2490&d=1272380581
the pumps at the other end of that gray hose

if your interested in converting your tetra filter to an upflow:
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/tetrapond-filter-conversion-t7890.html

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
my U.V has never felt hot ... problem?...

The light shouldnt get hot, as its "water cooled" like you said, and just a few watt anyway. But the transfo does get somewhat hot on mine (55W). Looks like mew5280 has one with transfo built-in, so thats probably whats getting warm.

Ask a Question