My Skippy Filter

mew5280

Mary, Denver, CO
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5, Denver CO, -10 to -15
Country
United States
The UV was not hot this morning so it was probably the sun. It's a tiny bit warm but nothing alarming.

koiguy, I was working in the yard yesterday from 8 AM to 4 PM and never get around to the tetra filter. There is just a limit to my energy. Maybe next weekend.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
IMHO...i think untill you get this pond cleared up the tetrapond would serve best as an underwater fines prefilter....you'll be suprised at the foating crap it would catch. including alge.

mew5280

Mary, Denver, CO
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
koiguy: from what I remember you said previously, you set the tetra up without any bioballs, just the prefilters (the more porous and the finer) and then batting that you change daily? Then what did you use to elevate the filters since you don't use the bio-balls, could I use bricks?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
for you ..i would set all bio spheres on the bottom evenly...put the 2 matts original mats on top of them and then fill with the fiber fill. if you see my conversion thread you'll see how i did mine ...the black diamond landscape border with the hardware fence...the 2 original pads then all the fiber fill. the pics are with just mats after the water cleared.

mew5280

Mary, Denver, CO
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
And you suggest using it as a pre-filter? So the pump would connect to the UV, the UV to the pre-filter and the pre-filter to the skippy? I wonder if there will be enough force for it to go from the pre-filter, which exits water at the bottom, up to the top of the skippy? Guess I can just try.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
for now ..it would go tetra filter under water as a prefilter to....pump input...pump out U.V out to the skippy! til the water is clear.

mew5280

Mary, Denver, CO
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Now I'm confused. The tetra is under water? I have a debris handling pump so I don't have a pre-filter now.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
if you can put a hose on the inlet of your pump you would greatly benefit from a prefilter untill your pond clears...yes the tetra would be underwater in the pond you hook up the pumps intake to the bottom of the tetra and leave the lid off pack it with fiber fill so the water is sucked in thru the lid opening thru the fiber fill and then out the bottom outlet to the pump!!

mew5280

Mary, Denver, CO
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
This is the type of pump I have, it's a 2000 GPH which they don't list anymore but this is the model. There is no intake area that I can hook up to a hose/filter. It's designed to be used with an external filter, not a pre-filter.

http://www.tetra-fish.com/sites/TetraFish/pond/PondProducts.aspx?id=3022

"No need to clean pre-filters or worry about clogged pumps. DHP models have an innovative cage design with large holes throughout the surface that allow any debris up to ¼ inch diameter to pass through to the pump.

The debris passes through the specialized open-faced impeller without clogging. Ideal to use with external filters such as our Bio-Active Pressure filters or waterfall filter."

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
usually the pumps casing or "cage" comes off and theres an inlet you can put a hose adapter in and hook up a hose... i seriously dont think your filter is big enough for a 2000 gph flow. and with all the debris flowing in with the water....

mew5280

Mary, Denver, CO
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The cage comes off, but I don't think there is a place for an inlet, if you look at the cross-section on that web link you can see it.

I have a 900 GPH pump as well but when I had that hooked up to the tetra bio filter, the water trickled out.

http://www.lagunaponds.com/lagunaeng/maxflopumps/maxflo900.php?link=141

I originally planned on using a 70 gal stock tank but decided my pond was small enough I could use 37 gals instead. Do you think I need a 70 gal filter to warrant the use of the 2000 gph pump? Or should I hook up the 900 gph pump, a Laguna I think, which does have an inlet for a pre-filter.

mew5280

Mary, Denver, CO
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I figured I could use most of the same plumbing fixtures I have on this filter on a 70 gal stock tank so I thought I'd try this one first. Do you think it's worth starting over with the 70 gal now before this one has really gotten started?

mew5280

Mary, Denver, CO
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Off to the feed store! I probably won't have time until the weekend as the feed stores where I can get the tank are not close to home. Thanks so much for all your help.

Ask a Question