My Take on Feeding Fish

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Over the past month people have talked about feeding fish several times a day down to not at all. This goes back to not all ponds are the same and different people having differing goals for their pond.

Clearly unless you have a well established pond with algae and other natural food feed the fish.

If you want your fish to spawn and have fry survive and grow feed the fish. It takes more food to thrive then it does to survive. Again this goes back to goals..

Over feeding is bad for the fish and drives up the excess nutrients and organics in the pond water. If you get to the point where your are feeding so much that the pond has too much algae (nutrients). Either reduce the feeding or take steps to manage the nutrients with more filtration, plants, or water changes. Maybe you need a larger pond or less fish. Note that during in the 2 or 3 months it takes a filter/pond to cycle you should expect and tolerate some algae and/or green water. (IMHO)

Fish are engineered to eat continuously. Several small meals a day are better for them then one large. When doing this feed enough food so that each fish gets one or two mouths/bites no more. The more often you feed the less you should feed at each feeding.

The 5 minute rule works if you feed them once or twice a day but they may be stuffing themselves. They will do their feed me dance minutes after feeding. There instinct is to eat continuously, they are not hungry.

If you are going to be gone for a few days it is better to not feed the fish during your absence. Do not trust another to do it unless you portion food into packets and mark them with date and maybe time. Some people purposely fast their fish one day a week.

Try feeding duckweed, or other greens once in a while. Boil up a small pot of peas and squirt the contents out of the shell into the pond. Toss in the occasional earthworm. Your fish will thank you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hmmmm I used to fish a lot growing up and put many hooks through earthworms, I actually forgot fish like them and I have so many at my house :LOL: I will throw one in there when I get home!

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I've always thought that the 5 minute rule for each feeding is too much. Instead, if you're gonna do the 5 minute rule, take out that amount and spread it out over the course of a day, 3-4 times if you have the time.

Reaction score
What I do is throw in an amount I know will be gone immediately. Then I throw in a much smaller amount which is always gobbled up within another minute. Then I throw in one to three pieces of food at a time until no-one comes up to claim it within about 10 seconds. If they are still hungry they can munch on the algae on the sides. Oh and I do that up to twice a day but sometimes zero times.

cr8tivguy

Tim Thompson
Reaction score
I have a bunch of duckweed in my pond and I feed the fish every other day. I'm working on hand feeding them, so the feeding process is a good 15 minutes or longer. That way I can also insure each fish gets a little fish food. So far, it's working pretty well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Tim here's a link for you to follow that we started as a thread some time ago and it'll help you with alternates food wise please feel free to use it :-

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/topic/10500-a-look-at-alternate-foods-for-your-koi-and-goldfish/

As you can see we looked at this from a loi's eyes and tried to put together a list of differing alternate feeds going of taste sweetness texture etc etc its a list weve worked on for the last 27 years or so.
Some of these foods such as Dried Mealy Worm Silk Worm Pupea as we as Raw king prawns etc are colour enhancing White for the freeze dried Red or HI from the raw king prawns plus others in the list as well.
Please feel free to add to it if you wish if we like it and it has proven benefits to your koi's health we'll add to our list .

rgrds

Dave

cr8tivguy

Tim Thompson
Reaction score
Thanks Dave! Great information! I tried peas and they flipped over them! I can't wait to test some other food items.
I probably have to be really careful though. I could totally see me getting wrapped up in feeding them and I'll end up with 100lb Koi that just float around all obese!

:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Try to remember to feed them as treats every few days or so keep treats in your mind they are not to replace pelleted foods totally ..
I feel it is vitally important to get some of the more natural foods into them remember the taste, touch hard and soft aspects of the food its what they like, imagine if something drops in the pond a koi will eat it if edible no matter if its hard or soft bitter or sweet
Some foods even make them work for a living especially half an orange they will get it eventually and the bigger ones will open it up for the little ones

rgrds

Dave

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
less feeding sure has not harmed my fish . :cheerful: Sure has saved me a lot of headaches and a lot of work

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Will fish be physically harmed by less feeding from humans? Probably not since there is much nature provides as far as food for the fish to simply survive off of algae, bugs, and plants. However, for the fish to thrive, then, if you were ask the professionals in the hobby, they will be quick to point how the physical appearance deformities, even though some is quite subtle, created from obvious lack of feeding or even too much feeding.

Reaction score
I personally enjoy feeding my fish. I feed them once a day unless we aren't home for their feeding. This year my fish have really gotten a lot more tame.

Ask a Question