My Wildlife Pond

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Ha ha ha, good luck strategizing and convincing the wife.... maybe just dig a little hole when she's not looking! I know my hubby gets all excited if I plan something I know he may not like, so I do it when he is not looking and then deal with the aftermath later. I am planning to get rid of his old couch one day, when he is not around, and get him a nice new one. I know it is much better to do this when he is gone, and have everything done and in place when he comes back, that way there is less "fuss". Someday soon that couch will just have to go ..... :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Gave up on stratigizing and convincing tactics. I also choose to do it your way Colleen. If it's there and its done the complaining doesn't usually last that long. Whenever I want to plant a tree I just plant it and its there to stay. If I put it before the panel it will end up being a huge debate about roots might effect this that or the other and how big does it get and will it shed leaves........yada, yada, yada.........easier to just do it when they are not home. Harder tho now that he's retired. Now the couch thing might really stir up the pot! Maybe just get a new one about the same size and shape and just tell him you had it re-stuffed and recovered. You could cut out a square piece of the old upholstery and he could use it as his comfort "bankie" as my daughter used to call it :LOL:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I've been practicing at this for a long time so I've got it down pat pretty good. Married for 44yrs to the same guy!
We are bad Colleen teaching herz all these sneaky tactics! His wife is gonna get us :ugh:
Figgy forgive us for taking up space on your thread. I can't wait till my froggies some back to my pond to sing to me in Spring!

Reaction score
Well the warmer weather arrived this week and Spring is finally here. We saw the pond flood during the winter period and even freeze over but now we are waiting patiently for the pond wildlife to return. No signs of any frogs though so we've resorted to saving tadpoles again from a nearby pond which is at imminent risk of drying up already.

gallery_4333_248_156548.jpg
gallery_4333_248_137841.jpg
gallery_4333_248_144324.jpg

Reaction score
addy1 said:
That is so pretty!
Thanks.

callingcolleen1 said:
Yes, very nice place for a cat to sit and sun too! I am in a party mood, and the sun is finally warming things up here too! :) I see a little mouse house or some fairy home, very cute!! :)
Thanks, yes the cat likes to sit nearby and drinks daily from the pond. Ah I see you spotted the Frogitat, a home for frogs should they ever take up residence.

Reaction score
Thought I'd share some recent photos of My Wildlife Pond.

The frog tadpoles have now changed into frogs and me and my youngest daughter spent a good hour or so watching them leave the pond for the first time. No sign of any little toads as yet but the tadpoles have now got their limbs.

photo-01-15June2013.jpg
photo-02-22June2013.jpg
photo-01-16June2013.jpg
photo-04-15June2013.jpg
And one last one of the little Wildlife Pond:​
photo-03-15June2013.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very nice! I have tiny toads hopping around everywhere

Reaction score
I never like removing plants from my pond but I guess it was about time I reduced the elodea crispa which seemed to be taking over.
As you can see below I removed a fair bit today, alot of which was covered in algae and was looking a bit worse for wear.

I always feel guity afterwards but I know that this stuff will grow back in no time so I'm feeling a little happier tonight.

03-20July2013.JPG

As usual my cat was on hand to observe my handy work:

08-20July2013.JPG

I thinned out some of the duckweed too but I've kept some as the frogs have been using it for cover. We've been having fun the last few evenings watching the frogs which seem to return to the pond during dusk. I'm still waiting to see the toad tadpoles transform, most have grown in size but no sign of any legs as yet!

08-tiltshift-20July2013.JPG

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looking good, that is one mess of stuff you pulled out.

Ask a Question