j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Nice and what is in that little stick nest you focused on by the smaller pond?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That little stick nest is load of old cut tree roots and twigs piled up to attract insects.
Really? Are you trying to attract a certain kind or just on a first come first serve basis? Or are they going to be food for the pond visitors? Just never ever heard of anyone trying to attract insects except certain friendly good ones like lady bugs and bees etc. Just wondering if you were hoping for a certain kind :)

Reaction score
Really? Are you trying to attract a certain kind or just on a first come first serve basis? Or are they going to be food for the pond visitors? Just never ever heard of anyone trying to attract insects except certain friendly good ones like lady bugs and bees etc. Just wondering if you were hoping for a certain kind :)

I did plan to build a hibernaculum, a kind of bug hotel to see what I could attract. I guess it makes a god source of food for any frogs / toads now, should they remain resident. I'll have to dig out that link to the hibernaculum and share it with you.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep do that, never hear of the hiber********** thingy before but I grew up w/ bugs. Was an only child and when no one to play w/ I played w/ bugs. Fed them and watched them for hours and hours. Interesting little creatures. Not many bothering ones on our side of the state, just friendly buggers mostly :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That's a pretty neat idea there and very nice of you to want to build a place for the critters to stay nice and cozy over the winter. You need a little camera down there to see what's going on in the winter.

Reaction score
Added some vegetation around my pond today.

Originally the plan was to have several Heathers growing in the pebble border around the pond. Sadly the Heathers died within weeks of planting so today we finally got round to adding some grasses. Hopefully these will become bushy over time and break up the border as was originally intended.

01-04May2014.png

Reaction score
That's a good start. I like grasses, they are so relaxed looking :)

Yeah, we have grasses growing at the back of the pond and they've grown well in the last year. Hopefully these will grow well too and make a more natural border between the edging stones and the lawn.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very nice looking, my heathers died this winter, keep hoping they will decide to come back........

Reaction score
I was out with my trusty torch yesterday evening seeing what was going on in my wildlife pond when to my excitement I spotted something move under the water, it was a fish! I waited patiently for it to swim back into sight and judging by the red marking on its belly and it's blue/green eyes I believe it may be a male Stickleback.

Now either it's been brought to the pond by a bird or I managed to scoop it up when we netted some tadpoles a few weeks back. I'm hoping it doesn't eat the tadpoles and I'm hoping it doesn't get eaten by the frog which is out in the pond every evening now.

I'll try and get a photo of it.

Ask a Question