My Wildlife Pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I was out with my trusty torch yesterday evening seeing what was going on in my wildlife pond when to my excitement I spotted something move under the water, it was a fish! I waited patiently for it to swim back into sight and judging by the red marking on its belly and it's blue/green eyes I believe it may be a male Stickleback.

Now either it's been brought to the pond by a bird or I managed to scoop it up when we netted some tadpoles a few weeks back. I'm hoping it doesn't eat the tadpoles and I'm hoping it doesn't get eaten by the frog which is out in the pond every evening now.

I'll try and get a photo of it.
That's exciting :)

Reaction score
Just took a quick photo of the little fish (bottom center), pitch black outside so excuse the quality. That white stuff on the surface is oil from a pigeon which was bathing earlier this evening.

Stickleback?

01-stickleback-07May2014.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
I promised I'd get a better photo of that Stickleback and sure enough with a trusty pencil torch and some patience I was able to get a couple of better low light photographs:

stickleback-01-16May2014.png

stickleback-02-16May2014.png

I've some more exciting news too, it was like Christmas had come early for me early today, I'll keep you in suspense until later this evening. I need to get some sleep now.

Reaction score
Time to reveal my exciting news.......

It's now become a daily ritual for me to spend a few minutes looking at both my little ponds each evening after work. Upon each inspection I wonder what I'll find has arrived next, some Diving Beetles or Water Boatman perhaps.

Anyway, having watched the frogs for a few minutes in Pond #2 I have a quick look at the Pond #1 and as I lean over to have a closer examination something moves very quickly under the water. It's too small to be a frog but immediately I recognize the shape, it's a Newt! I can't tell you how excited I am as I sit patiently waiting to get another glimpse of. After ten minutes of waiting I decide to leave and return after dark to see if I can see it with my torch.

As darkness falls I venture back into my back garden and as i shine the torch I'm greeted with the site of a little Newt sat on upon some weed. Quickly I run back into the house to grab my camera and I'm able to snap some photos.

newt-01-16May2014.png

newt-04-16May2014.png

newt-02-16May2014.png

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ahhhhhhhh, he/she is a cool looking little creature and your pond is attracting them to a new nice place to live. You done good Figgy :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
That is real neat. Love the pics and that is a neat looking fish. And now I finally know what a newt looks like. :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My little toad tads are starting to get legs, the green frogs tads from last year are huge and are just now becoming frogs, go little hind legs. It is so much fun to watch them convert.

Ask a Question