Native biological controls for aggressive aquatic plants or overgrowth? ( USA ) particularly southeastern USA.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So when it comes to aquatic plants as pests to control the three most common routes seem to be mechanical ( physically removing it which can often collapse rocks ), chemical or biological. I’m often seeing the biological solution being introducing grass carps. However those are not native to USA and despite a general consensus that it’s not disruptive to ecosystems or invasive I’m still hesitant. But I’m not a fish expert and was wondering if anyone had good results using various native fishes. I know often their dietary relationship is similar to host species with insects as in some fish prefer this or that but it seems to not be widely available info. I know there is sterile grass carps but I still would rather help increase native biodiversity in the process.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
How big is your pond? is it a natural pond? Is it stream fed into a the local waterways?

If it is a natural pond you could add native turtles to it, specifically painteds and sliders. The adults are omnivores and when I kept them they would eat a ton of aquatic plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This is not for any particular pond. I’m looking for alternatives to grass carps to be used as biological controls in any pond that has an overgrowth issue. There is not good dietary information on herbivorous fish really. Hoping to select 3-4 herbivorous species to routinely use for a wide range of ponds and biomass. Seems like it must be an area not really studied out.

Turtles are definitely part of it the hopeful plan along with host caterpillar species band so on. There is a good amount of info on aquatic flora and what insects they host but limited info on the fish.

Ask a Question